1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just came across this, crazy!

$70 Rolex sells for $65,000+ | Luxury Feed

VINTAGE ROLEX SUBMARINER DIVE WATCH

This is a one-owner watch, purchased by me at the Navy Exchange on Kwajalein Atoll in 1958. It has served me well, but Father Time having caught up with me, I no longer dive. For the last several years it has been sitting in a dresser drawer, and now it’s time for somebody else to take it over.

I’ve been wearing the watch the last week or so, and it keeps good time. Cosmetically, it has a few issues. The crystal bears some obvious scratches; the hands are no longer bright and shiny, and the number indicators are a touch yellowed. I can’t vouch for its water-tightness.
It seems to me that with a trip to the nearest Rolex service establishment it might be restored to its original beauty. I haven’t done it because now that I’m in my ninth decade, I’m downsizing and need to unload a lot of what are really just souvenirs. So here’s your chance to pick up a rare iconic timepiece.

More pics here:
Vintage Rolex Submariner Dive Watch - eBay (item 120652944121 end time Dec-05-10 19:30:56 PST)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Anyone have a link to some of these Rolex forum discussions? I'd like to see what some of these guys are saying :lol:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Its an unbelievable opportunity, I love that he didn't know, but what I love more is he didn't get screwed. Good for him!! I love stories like this.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I hope it's true. But there's a lot of skepticism amongst the vintage Rolex community that the story truly matches the timepiece. There's some credibility issues as well as leaps of logic & reason that have most of the acknowledged vintage aficionados saying this is a bit fishy.

Hopefully we'll find out what the seller has to say when he/she actually goes to complete the transaction.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Very nice on his hustle. I just can't imagine buying that beat up thing for $66K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts