Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pondering the idea of picking up a 348 this coming spring. While my company details many different Ferraris on a consistent basis we don't much get into mechanical aspects.

My budget is around $50,000 for my first exotic. Does anyone here have first hand experience/thoughts on this car.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I have been pondering the idea of picking up a 348 this coming spring. While my company details many different Ferraris on a consistent basis we don't much get into mechanical aspects.

My budget is around $50,000 for my first exotic. Does anyone here have first hand experience/thoughts on this car.
Would wait a little until budget is higher, for maintenance cost and any surprise fixes.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm on F-Chat, but actually had this FL thread bookmarked, as I've provided this link before. Good general information.

Questions about Ferrari 348 ts - Ferrari Life

If you're not dead-set on the 348/true exotic, a Gen IV Viper is reliable as it gets for that price. As I'm sure you know, you can grab anything from an Evora to an M3 for $50K.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own one. A 1990 348 TS. I absolutely love it - right down to the manual steering (it does have ABS though which is a plus).

I love the lines on this car.

Prices are very good on them nowadays - as long as you have some reserve after the purchase for maintenance (it is an exotic after all), I'd say go for it!

Anything you would like to know in particular?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand the maintenance aspect I'm not afraid if it I was ASE certified, just don't turn wrenchs anymore for a living.

My budget is for the price of the car alone BTW. IM open to other ideas as well, I want a true drivers car like the 348

·
Registered
14 Posts
From my own experience - when I bought mine, it had a "clutch assembly" installed at a Ferrari dealer a few months earlier. Clutch assembly meaning the whole bellhousing with clutch plates and pressure plate in it. It goes for about $3300.

So I thought the clutch was good for a while. Lo and behold, the clutch failed on me 3 times within a couple of months - fortunately the clutch is very easy to work on for DIY because it's at the end of everything as opposed to in between the engine and the transmission like on most cars. Basically the "triple seal" failed once leaking transmission oil into the clutch. Then the slave cylinder seal failed, dumping brake fluid outside the car (and you gradually lose the clutch in about 30 seconds). And finally the thrust bearing seized, taking out the "fingers" on the pressure plate. All these parts are outside of the clutch assembly, and so were about 20 years old. All this happened in about 6 months, but I have not had to touch it again since then - it's been 3 years.

Ferrari parts are truly expensive - around 3-10 times more. But if you can turn a wrench, it won't be too bad. Aside from the new clutch assembly which was already on the car, I spent $1000 on the thrust bearing + flange (from Hill Engineering). Typically thrust bearings are <$100 items on regular cars. Same with clutch packs - $350 would buy you an entire clutch pack normally. Just saying.

So I did not spend any $ on labour during the 3 times when the clutch failed. And I wasn't stranded at all - I ended up starting the car in first gear and drove home slowly late at night.

There are really 3 things important on a car like this - engine, transmission and clutch. The engine - you should be able to tell how well it runs while testing driving it. Same with the transmission - but do expect 2nd gear to feel notchy - that's just how all manual Ferrari's are. But gear boxes on this car are known to be very expensive if you ever need one.

Someone might have already said FerrariChat.com and FerrariLife.com are the best sources of info. There is a huge base of drivers passionate about the 348, and most of them work on the car themselves (with lots of tips on these forums). RicambiAmerica.com is where most Ferrari owners in N America go to for parts.

So all in all, some work is to be expected for an older car like this. There is of course the 30K miles / 3 years recommended timing belt change (about $4K or some people DIY). But once you start driving it with the Italian opera singing 6 inches behind your head, you will wonder why you have wasted so long =-)

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
BTW, I just noticed you said you have $50K budget for this car. That's plenty. The overall Ferrari pre-owned market has been going down price wise, and I believe there are quite a few examples to be had below $40K (some even under $30K). So that would leave some $ for maintenance / surprises.

When I got mine about 4 years ago, the prices were more like $50K and below. But really, these cars don't depreciate much anymore ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would have to agree with HJ. $50K won't even buy you a 355 - unless it's project car. But the cost to bring a Ferrari project car up to snuff would be astronomical.

I bought a 348 because I preferred the 348 to the 355 - plus I had already spent some time driving one and I liked how the 348 drove. The 355 has softer lines whereas the 348 is more angular. I was a teenage when the 348 came out so I was doomed =-).

There are a lot to like with the 355 - including more power and F1 transmission (if you're into that). Having said that, the 355 is known to have a valve train issue specific to the car (with its 5-valve cylinder). Buy the wrong one, you would need a lot more $ to just be able to stay with it. See One Year With A Ferrari

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 50k budget is a rough budget for the vehicle alone, could exceed for the right car.

Affording isn't the issue wanting to spend the money is.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a 348 for 20 years and loved it. It was very reliable, huge fun, and had great road presence. A buddy of mine is selling his immaculate 'B'. PM me your details if you are interested. Here's my old girl...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts