Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had multiple BMW's in the past but have been thinking about picking up a 335i. I have been doing research on e90post.com and other forums and I keep hearing of some of the malfunctions this model has such as the hpfp situation.

Is all the negative hype true? Would you reconsider purchasing this model of BMW? For those of you with experience with this model would you consider another vehicle over the 335i? I know these questions are often asked but I need some unbiased honest answers before making a decision.

Any advice?

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you are planning to keep the car during warranty, it is fine as the HPFP usually does not strand you. BMW seems to have largely fixed this issue with the new N55 motor.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info, what year does the N55 start? I was looking at most likely a 2008 but may reconsider if these issues are completely avoidable. I would more than likely get a 335i with low mileage with extended warranty and like you mentioned it sounds as though these issues do not usually leave the vehicle totally un drivable.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My girlfriend has a 2007 335xi. It's a really fun car to drive. Plenty of pickup and great fun to get around in. I think you will be happy with it but make sure to make sure everything is covered under EW if possible.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I have a 08 E90 335I with 76,000 miles with the stock hpfp from the day I bought the car new. No problems what so every with the pump. I also have plenty of mods that I thought would break my pump but the car seems to handle it very well. The only problem that I have had is a transmission (6AT) seal leak but that was an easy repair.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an 08 335i with 49k miles. I love the car but do not trust it at all. I am on hpfp number 3 and bringing it in again tomorrow for 4. Have had since 6/08 as a brand new car.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an 08 335i with 49k miles. I love the car but do not trust it at all. I am on hpfp number 3 and bringing it in again tomorrow for 4. Have had since 6/08 as a brand new car.
This is exactly what I am worried about. Although a warranty would cover this failure I would be taking my vehicle to be repaired every couple of months.

I have a hard time believing that this vehicle is worth the money and worth the hassle. For the same money or a little more I could get a wide range of well performing vehicles.

So the delima continues, anyone care to chime in with a response? blastr17, is the vehicle worth it or if you had the chance would you have purchased another vehicle?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 08 E90 335I with 76,000 miles with the stock hpfp from the day I bought the car new. No problems what so every with the pump. I also have plenty of mods that I thought would break my pump but the car seems to handle it very well. The only problem that I have had is a transmission (6AT) seal leak but that was an easy repair.
This is exactly what I dont understand. One person may have a 335i with absolutely no problems and the next gentlemen has to take his car to the dealership every couple of months only to replace the parts with the same parts as only a band aid untile the next the part fails?

I love the styling of this vehicle and love the tt engine BMW has put into this vehicle. I guess with great performance you can only expect less reliability, quite disapointing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is an awesome car, I just do not understand how they have not solved this problem. I do not regret getting the car but I would be hesitant to buy/lease another n54 power plant (1m). Luckily it goes back in 6 months

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Buy it if thats the only thing thats stopping you. Bmw extended the warranty for the HPFP way beyong the 4 years/40k miles.

I had a 135 which is essentially same car and my fuel pump went out first 10k miles and was replaced with no problems.

Oh and the N55 engines have fuel pump problems also.
I got fed up with the Turbo engines and got the NA v8 m3 lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good info, what year does the N55 start? I was looking at most likely a 2008 but may reconsider if these issues are completely avoidable. I would more than likely get a 335i with low mileage with extended warranty and like you mentioned it sounds as though these issues do not usually leave the vehicle totally un drivable.
2011 is the starting year for the N55. They changed from two separate smaller turbos to a single larger turbo. The new one makes peak torque at slightly lower RPM but many believe the N54 is more tune-able. I've driven both the manual and the auto in the N54, and the manual definitely feels a lot stronger and is much more fun to drive.

On another note, if you are interested in a quick Bimmer without turbo-related issues, a good model to look at is a e46 with ZHP package. It has a cult-like following.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I currently own an 08 BMW 335i Coupe as well, and coming from an Infiniti G37S, the car really is great. The warranties cover a lot, and BMW is always helpful.

The twin turbos on the car make it screamingly fast for the price.

Great car, Get one!!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I also had a G37S and the 335I just feels and is a torque monster. If all that’s stopping you is the pump they send out an extended warranty to cover the pump for 10yrs or 100K miles.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It sounds as though that most of you even though have had some problems with the n54 engine you would still go back and make the same purchase if given the chance again? The e46 m3 is beautiful car but am looking more towards a sedan and the v8 m3 I believe is still going to be out of my price range at least for a little while:lol:.

The other options I have considered are a M5, E55 AMG, Lexus IS-F and even the Lexus IS-350. I was trying to avoid purchasing a car with 30k-40k miles and not having to sacrifice the power and styling. Performance and reliability are what I am looking for but seems like this goal is improbable.

I am a BMW fan and have owned 3 in the past. I currently drive an american v8 and the styling and quality are not up to my standard.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I currently own an 08 BMW 335i Coupe as well, and coming from an Infiniti G37S, the car really is great. The warranties cover a lot, and BMW is always helpful.

The twin turbos on the car make it screamingly fast for the price.

Great car, Get one!!
I like your answer, I was considering the g37s at one time as well because of the acclamined reliability of Infiniti. The evidence shown by many video's and posts shows though that the 335i is just a faster vehicle, especially with some light modifications.

Sounds as though you are happy with your decision so maybe the search should continue.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Took delivery of mine just over a year ago now and absolutely no issues. However, it's a weekend warrior (only 7k miles).

The HPFP is the only problem constantly reported (although i heard some issues about the seals on the e93 top) and it's covered for 100k miles. Great car, i'd def pick one up over just about all of its competitors (A5 is gorgeous, but seemed sluggish when i drove it--more comparable to the 328)

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Since you mentioned other cars in the price range, but have you thought about a MB cl55amg? :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since you mentioned other cars in the price range, but have you thought about a MB cl55amg? :)
Although this is a beautiful vehicle and have heard great things about it, my wife has told me that all coupes are out of the equation despite my constant arguement. :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took delivery of mine just over a year ago now and absolutely no issues. However, it's a weekend warrior (only 7k miles).

The HPFP is the only problem constantly reported (although i heard some issues about the seals on the e93 top) and it's covered for 100k miles. Great car, i'd def pick one up over just about all of its competitors (A5 is gorgeous, but seemed sluggish when i drove it--more comparable to the 328)
The 328 although is a nice vehicle I am just not impressed with the 2.8 when compared to the 3.5tt.

Sounds as though you are quite happy with your 335, I may have to just put up with the possibility of the HPFP failure if I want the performance of this vehicle. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
m3 sedan?? 08's are getting down in the 40's. My 08 335 went through 2 hpfp in 6k miles when i traded it in on the m3. had no problems with in 13k until i traded it in on the gt-r.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts