Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to go the 20" route with some beefy tires, but found a deal too good to resist. I just bought a set of Hamann PG3's 22x10.5 all around. Should I go with a 285/35/22 or 295/30/22? Reason being, the wheels come with a set of 295/30/22's already wrapped around them, but are shorter in diameter as compared to the stock setup. Or can I go with an even larger tire? Something that would fill in the gap a lil more? I know Nitto makes a 285/45/22 in their Terra Grappler series. Would those fit without rubbing? Any help is greatly appreacited.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Can't speak for a rover specifically, but I had 22's on both of my X5's back in the day and both ran 285/35/22. I didn't have rubbing issues at all, but I imagine anything thicker would rub the sidewalls at full turn. Pretty sure the wheel slingers on this site will chime in soon enough and let you know.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reading back on this, I worded the post poorly. My goal is to get the fattest tire without rubbing. I saw on a forum the other day that someone had fit a 305/40/22 on their fullsize RR, but would love to have an even fatter tire in the 285/45/22, but am almost certain it would rub. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It would be sweet if you could do a 285/45/22 in the Bridgestone duellers or the grapplers are nasty also maybe just order one at your local tire spot and test fit it .

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was going to go the 20" route with some beefy tires, but found a deal too good to resist. I just bought a set of Hamann PG3's 22x10.5 all around. Should I go with a 285/35/22 or 295/30/22? Reason being, the wheels come with a set of 295/30/22's already wrapped around them, but are shorter in diameter as compared to the stock setup. Or can I go with an even larger tire? Something that would fill in the gap a lil more? I know Nitto makes a 285/45/22 in their Terra Grappler series. Would those fit without rubbing? Any help is greatly appreacited.
hey bud are the PG3s even load rated for the 6000lbs beast that is the Range Rover?

not trying to be a party pooper here, but it amazes me how people try to shoe in wheels that aren't made for the application because they like the look of it or "it was on sale". does it handle the factory lug nuts? TPMS? getting the fattest rubber would be the last thing i'd worry about in your scenario.

regardless, good luck man. i'd honestly call up a respected vendor to help handle these inquiries as this is so specific to you and not anyone else that i can recall. mcanzio might be the closest dude, but then he's running factory 20s. taza is the other fella who's running meaty tires.

·
Registered
693 Posts
hey bud are the PG3s even load rated for the 6000lbs beast that is the Range Rover?

not trying to be a party pooper here, but it amazes me how people try to shoe in wheels that aren't made for the application because they like the look of it or "it was on sale". does it handle the factory lug nuts? TPMS? getting the fattest rubber would be the last thing i'd worry about in your scenario.

regardless, good luck man. i'd honestly call up a respected vendor to help handle these inquiries as this is so specific to you and not anyone else that i can recall. mcanzio might be the closest dude, but then he's running factory 20s. taza is the other fella who's running meaty tires.
+1... You can do some serious damage if the wheel/tire combo is not proper for a truck so large. I'd do some more homework, as I've never seen PG3's on an SUV.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'm surprised you didn't know the wheel was made for the RR. I thought you were a knowledgeable RR guy. Hamann even advertises the Hamann tuning program for the full size RR with the PG3 in 22's (but now have been using their modern designs for their marketing purposes). If you aren't familiar with who Hamann is, look them up.

I've been building cars (mostly Euro's) since the late 90's. Of course I've grown and so have my tastes, but the PG3 (along with the BBS LM) has always been my all time favorite wheel design. Hamann was my favorite brand back then, and is still one of my favorite aftermarket companies. I had HRE's for my past 2 sets on my Cayenne, and was considering another set for the RR, but came across these beauties. Hamann I consider the Panerai of wheels, with HRE being the Rolex of wheels. I appreciate the concern, but I'm not a newbie when it comes to wheels and fitment.

Anyway, I looked more into the tire fitment and it looks like the largest size I can go with without modification is 285/40/22. 285/45/22 supposedly only works if I do the mod to permanently raise the RR another 2" but I'd rather not go that route. I have attached 2 small photos from Hamann's old advertisement of the wheel for the RR. I'm also having the wheels refinished with a brushed face and polished lip.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
I forgot about that Rover! Yours will look great with meatier tires... Anyways, will 285/40/22 not rub at full lock? If you plan on off-roading this thing, I'd definitely stay away from the absolute biggest tire that can be stuffed (for normal use).

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
285/35-22 is ideal ...
You can go up to a 305/35-22 if you like as well ...

Hope this helps ...

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm running 285/35/22s on my Rover. I put that same size tire on all the Rovers i do at the shop. Another shop I work with does 285/40/22. I've also done some 265/40/22. For the sake of comparison, here's a few pics...

265/40/22 Continental

285/35/22 Pirelli

285/40/22
I had to roll the inner fender to prevent these from rubbing.

and mine on 285/35/22...

I know these might not be the look you are going for, but here's just some help as to what most people are doing.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot about that Rover! Yours will look great with meatier tires... Anyways, will 285/40/22 not rub at full lock? If you plan on off-roading this thing, I'd definitely stay away from the absolute biggest tire that can be stuffed (for normal use).
Lol, 22's aren't the best setup to go offroading in. Unless of course that 22" wheel is wrapped in some crazy unorthodox super swampe

285/35-22 is ideal ...
You can go up to a 305/35-22 if you like as well ...

Hope this helps ...
Any bit helps! I'm starting with a set of Yokohama's in 285/35/22, but will eventually go bigger with the 285/40/22.

I'm running 285/35/22s on my Rover. I put that same size tire on all the Rovers i do at the shop. Another shop I work with does 285/40/22. I've also done some 265/40/22. For the sake of comparison, here's a few pics...

265/40/22 Continental

285/35/22 Pirelli

285/40/22
I had to roll the inner fender to prevent these from rubbing.

and mine on 285/35/22...

I know these might not be the look you are going for, but here's just some help as to what most people are doing.
This helps a lot! I love the look of that RR with the 285/40/22's! Once I've run through this first set of tires, I will definitely be picking up a set. Fender rolling has got me back to the days.... when I was trying to squeeze a 18x9.5 in an E36 M3 back in the day.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't know the wheel was made for the RR. I thought you were a knowledgeable RR guy.
my bad dog didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch as i don't care about how long anyone's modded what - it's a damn hobby where someone else will always know more and have more. honestly, this is my first rover and likely my last. plus i'm not even sure i can say i stand corrected (would gladly do so) because I still have no idea what hamann has done to load rate their universally used PG3 wheels from the 3 series to full size Rover. but i trust that they've done their homework given their history.

suffice to say, i adore Hamann products, but honestly never paid attn to their RR offerings as i associate them more with their sedan/coupe body of work. i'm in love with their X6M and fully consider their Edition Race wheels as the best looking in the market in my eyes.

so that i lend some sort of topic value here, i run the paradas in 285/35/22s right now so it's definitely not trending towards what you're looking for which is more meat. any bigger i'd be seriously concerned with straying too far from stock rolling diameter since these newer rovers are so "gizmoed" out added to the fact that Land Rover has one of the worst reliability records in the market. the 285/40/22s still look half arse. imho, if you're really going to go for the meaty look, go big or go home (i.e. seriously aggressive AT/MT tread).

Taza has stuffed some beefy tires underneath his FFRR w/ amazing results but i believe he's on dub quads. I have no idea how he gets by with no issues, but i'm sure he can directly testify. even my alignment guy gave me sh!t for running 22s.

good luck chief.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry been away for a little bit...decided to chime in!! hehe

Trust me when I say I've looked high and low and places where you don't know wanna know! lol I really really really wanted to fit 285/45R22 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my rig. But unless you are prepared to do some major cutting and dicing there is no way in hell to fit those without a lift...johnson rods LR3 Lift Kit - Johnson Rods - Range Rover Sport Lift Kit

But I don't think they make any lift links for the full-size RR yet that are reliable.

Just for reference...my 285/50R20 Nitto Terra's barely and I mean barely clear the front STRUTS and fenders....it is a 31.2" tire...anything bigger and you will have rubbing issues. My buddy put some 285/55R20's and had to do some fairly major cutting...the thing is not when you are driving around town lightly...but when you go over speed bumps and big dips....the tires will dig into the fenders and makes an unbearable grinding sound. Honestly, if you can fit 285/45R22's (please let me know...I haven't been able to do a test fit yet).

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts

SITTING ON A SET OF 22INCH AGETRO M140 FORGED MONOBLOCK's
MOUNTED AND SPEED BALANCED ON A SET OF PIRELLI SCORPION ZERO 305/35-22's

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

SITTING ON A SET OF 22INCH AGETRO M140 FORGED MONOBLOCK's
MOUNTED AND SPEED BALANCED ON A SET OF PIRELLI SCORPION ZERO 305/35-22's

Wow, that looks awesome! Nice wheel and tire setup!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I recommend going with the 285/35/22 Pirelli Scorpion Zero's. We have TONS in stock. PM me and i can get you a killer deal on a set... Trust me, nobody will be able to beat our pricing on tires :D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: Wheels are back from refinishing (changed from Chrome to Brushed finish). Going to get the wheels/tires mounted this weekend! I'll take pics once finished. Tires I decided to go with are 285/35/22 Yoko's. I want to try this set first and move up to the 285/40/22's or even bigger if possible.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
updated shot: car's not finished, so i'm going to wait to post full body shots. here's a shot of the hamann pg3's sitting on the rr. the fitment is dead on! 22x10.5 wrapped in yoko 285/35/22 all around.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts