Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I almost could not believe this when I read it...
Joe Kittinger is not a household aviation name like Neil Armstrong or Chuck Yeager. But what he did for the U.S. space program is comparable.

On Aug. 16, 1960, as research for the then- fledgling U.S. space program, Air Force Captain Joseph Kittinger rode a helium balloon to the edge of space, 102,800 feet above the earth, a feat in itself. Then, wearing just a thin pressure suit and breathing supplemental oxygen, he leaned over the cramped confines of his gondola and jumped into the 110-degree-below- zero, near-vacuum of space. Within seconds his body accelerated to 714 mph in the thin air, breaking the sound barrier. After free- falling for more than four and a half minutes, slowed finally by friction from the heavier air below, he felt his parachute open at 14,000 feet, and he coasted gently down to the New Mexico desert floor.

Now there is this RedBullStratos http://www.redbullstratos.com/

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
anyone got a date for this event? I hope it gets some air time that would be cool to watch live.
The exact date of Red Bull Stratos, which will set off from North America, will be determined pending completion of equipment testing and assessment of weather patterns - conditions need to be optimal for the final jump.-Red Bull Stratos

·
Registered
726 Posts
What's insane is the fact that this same feat was done some 50 years ago. Given how far technology has advanced in that amount of time, this should be a walk in the park.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
How did he not burn up?
I'll take this one:

Every body has a specific velocity that is required to achieve orbit around that velocity, called the "escape velocity" The space shuttle, and ISS and every other satellite that is permanently orbiting the earth is at that velocity. That velocity literally allows their masses to "fall around the earth" so to speak. For the earth, that is a minimum of about 11.2km/s (kilometers per SECOND). Any object that comes down to earth from orbit, must be decelerating from that speed at minimum. That high rate of speed, combined with the frictional effects from moving through a fluid (the atmosphere) at that speed, are what generate the heat that we hear about with regards to re-entry.

This balloon jump does not attempt to reach orbit, and it's speed is subject to the rate of ascent, and any air currents which may drift it a bit. He will in essence be moving with the earth, straight up and down, therefore he won't have to worry about the effects of moving at 11.2km/s.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Red Bull 'riders' is always pushing the limits and doing stuff that is unbelievable, i just can't wait to see what they do after this.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I'll take this one:

Every body has a specific velocity that is required to achieve orbit around that velocity, called the "escape velocity" The space shuttle, and ISS and every other satellite that is permanently orbiting the earth is at that velocity. That velocity literally allows their masses to "fall around the earth" so to speak. For the earth, that is a minimum of about 11.2km/s (kilometers per SECOND). Any object that comes down to earth from orbit, must be decelerating from that speed at minimum. That high rate of speed, combined with the frictional effects from moving through a fluid (the atmosphere) at that speed, are what generate the heat that we hear about with regards to re-entry.

This balloon jump does not attempt to reach orbit, and it's speed is subject to the rate of ascent, and any air currents which may drift it a bit. He will in essence be moving with the earth, straight up and down, therefore he won't have to worry about the effects of moving at 11.2km/s.
Very well put, I already knew this since I have studied astronomy but that is a great breakdown.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The website says 614mph, not 714. The speed of sound is 768mph, therefore he did not break the barrier.

Still amazing and very impressed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts