Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The 2015 Ford Mustang has been fully revealed, ushering in a new generation of the American automaker’s signature sports car.

Sporting an all-new chassis, the 2015 Ford Mustang has seen its roof lowered 1.5 inches, the hood 1.3 inches and the dashboard about 2.8 inches for a much sleeker design compared to its predecessor. It also sports independent rear suspension, a first for the storied Mustang. While traditional Mustang enthusiasts will groan over the thought that the Mustang no longer has a solid rear axle, Ford promises that the independent rear suspension improves handling, ride and steering precision on the all-new ‘Stang.

As for powerplants, the 2015 Mustang will come standard with a 3.7-liter V6 with 300 hp while a 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder EcoBoost engine will be available with at least 305 hp, according to Ford. Then of course, there’s the top-of-the-line 5.0-liter V8 that will be rated at “more than 420 hp,” though official specifications have not been announced.

Tweaks were also made to the front roof pillars in order to offer better front visibility on the 2015 Mustang while the passenger airbag has been moved to the glove box door, getting rid of the separate panel typically found on the dashboard. As for the convertible model, which will be released nearly at the same time as the coupe, Ford boasts that it’ll have the fastest top on the market lowering or raising in just seven seconds. The convertible will be operable at speeds up to 5 mph.

And while minor, it’s worth mentioning that the 2015 Mustang’s front seats now feature “memory recline,” which will return to the driver’s preferred seating position after being moved forward in order to get the rear passengers out of the coupe.
See more 2015 Ford Mustang photos at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
It looks kind of like a GTR copulated with a focus in front. silhouette looks like a g37, rear still looks mustang-ish. front wouldnt be all that bad if they got rid of that double decker radiator look.. but then again you just need a thin mesh center grill for the top and that solves it.. like sn95 mustangs (think of the honeycomb front on a 99-04).
I'd like to see a return of the SVO (turbo 4cyl), return of the mach I. SVO be a more road-race oriented car, the mach I a drag car the way the 03-04 was and the cobra still a balls-to-the-wall HP car.

say a turbo upgrade for the SVO to push it to 350 rwhp and a 3.73 gear ratio
mach I... hmm.. at least 370 rwhp stock but a solid 400 rwtq... 4.10s stock, interested to see how that would work on IRS. lastly, return of the shaker hood!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't know, depending on if the IRS does not add too much to the cost of the final product I may be in the market for one early next year after the dealers get over their inflated price tags.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't know, depending on if the IRS does not add too much to the cost of the final product I may be in the market for one early next year after the dealers get over their inflated price tags.
It's insane how much they inflate on these cars, especially if it is a Shelby of some sorts. I'd hope no one actually pays those prices. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Can't polish a turd, no matter how many times it's re-designed.
First of all, you can polish a turd, I'd encourage you to watch Mythbusters. Secondly, the Mustang stopped being a turd in 2011.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It's insane how much they inflate on these cars, especially if it is a Shelby of some sorts. I'd hope no one actually pays those prices. :eek:hwell:
I remember when they introduced the 05 gt500... People were paying upwards of 100k..
I remember seeing the MSRP at around $50,000 or whatever it was. A local Ford dealership had it marked up to $85,000. Talk about a friggin' profit!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Personally, I like the new direction of the Mustang. They're trying to make it more viable in global markets. I grew up in a Ford home and then moved on to German brands, but I'm thinking seriously about this new Mustang, but not until the Shelby versions come out. They are rumored to be developing a 600+ hp model with a "flat plane crank" but I'll believe it when I see it. In any event, I'm a fan!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Its growing on me... i initially hated the front end.. too much of the fusion/taurus/rest of the ford line-up look(nothing wrong with that for those cars). It just doesn't look as inspiring as i thought it would.. I do like the back end very fastback like. I get that it is going in to the global market, so it really does have to go up against all the great sports cars in Europe.
It just doesn't have as much heritage inspiration as i thought it would - 50 year anniversary and all. Ford seems to be down playing that now as well.. I know the power numbers wont be much different from the current gen engines, but i am very curious what the new car puts down as far as numbers 0-60, Quater-mile, vs Camaro/Challenger with the IRS, supposed weight reduction, and other stats on the car.

And as always Ill wait to make any final judgments until i see it in person.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I know the power numbers wont be much different from the current gen engines, but i am very curious what the new car puts down as far as numbers 0-60, Quater-mile, vs Camaro/Challenger with the IRS, supposed weight reduction, and other stats on the car.
According to MotorTrend, the outgoing model's specs are:

0 to 60: 4.3 seconds
1/4 Mile: 12.7 seconds
60 to 0 Distance: 107 feet
Skidpad Average: 0.94 g

The tested Mustang had the Brembo brakes, 3.73 gearing, and no limited slip differential.

I'm going to take a guess at the new model's specs:

0 to 60: 4.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.4 seconds
60 to 0 Distance: 102 feet
Skipad Average: 0.96 g

As far as going against the Challenger and Camaro, the Challenger is an entirely different class of car. Chrysler is supposedly going to replace it with the Barracuda, a car a bit closer to the size of the Mustang and Camaro. If the R/T version will still have around 375 HP and the SRT version will have it's 470 HP, I don't think the Mustang and/or Camaro have much to worry about. Ford will have the beefier Mustang models (GT350, Mach-1, etc.) throwing out ridiculous amounts of horsepower and Chevrolet will have the ZL1 and Z28 Camaros (assuming they continue to make them).

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I remember when they introduced the 05 gt500... People were paying upwards of 100k..
Yep. What he said!

But this is one outstanding looking Stang. I just hope they will ditch that solid rear axle. The 80s called... They want their rear diff back.

- BigMarcus on HTC 1

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yep. What he said!

But this is one outstanding looking Stang. I just hope they will ditch that solid rear axle. The 80s called... They want their rear diff back.

- BigMarcus on HTC 1
Uh, I don't mean to be an ass but we've known for a long time that this stang is going to have an IRS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts