Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this this morning. Pretty good vid with Carlos Lagos. The new Z06 is an absolute animal. Reconsidering a GT-R for the future.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The initial reviews have been pretty impressive. I think I saw someone pulled 1.19G on a skidpad with one during their first road test.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Tires make a great car into an unbelievable car.
That said, even with ps2's on it or the old psc's im sure it will rip. Looking forward to driving one next year.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. I was leaning towards a GT-R or even 911 for a fun car instead of driving my truck everyday. Now after seeing this I need to reconsider. Lol.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think I'd still rather have a 911 Turbo than the C7 Z06. I just can't get into the C7's interior.

Reactions: Irelentless

·
Registered
291 Posts
Agreed. I was leaning towards a GT-R or even 911 for a fun car instead of driving my truck everyday. Now after seeing this I need to reconsider. Lol.
I am still a GT-R fanboy despite how enticing this car is. Frankly, and I think a lot of people are probably kidding themselves if they don't agree, I don't think that I would get this car anywhere near its limit on a consistent basis to really enjoy all of its performance potential. It's no doubt that this car is incredible, but honestly I would rather have some help from a smart computer to allow me to play closer to a cars limit (like in a GT-R) for a longer period of time. I imagine that more smiles and laughter would be had in a GT-R as opposed to nervous, sweaty palms in the Z06. With that said I frankly only consider myself an average (maybe slightly above average) driver when it comes to driving on a track.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My personal preference: 911 Turbo > GT-R > Z06, from an ownership standpoint.

But if someone gave me the keys to a C7 Z06, I certainly would not be disappointed.

Reactions: Pushn'lbs

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
911s are getting more & more expensive & the GT-R are well. From a bang for your buck standpoint the Z06 is a strong competitor. If money was no object the 911 would be my 1st choice no questions asked. But when you have to weigh the coins it's a different ballgame.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I mean, if you only have a certain amount to spend, I see your point. But typically people who can pay close to $100k for a Z06 will also be able to buy a 911 Turbo, even something like a 997.2 Turbo S.

I'd just get in the Corvette, look at the interior, and go, "I paid how much?" Chevy did a lot to dress up the C7, but I definitely would not call it world class.

Reactions: darkgable79

·
Registered
193 Posts
The new Vette is an absolute animal, one of the best looking cars on the road right now in my opinion

·
Registered
193 Posts
The other day I was chasing one of these around my area. It's a proportionally good looking auto, and I'm not sure I can say that about any other american auto. Two thumbs up.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I mean, if you only have a certain amount to spend, I see your point. But typically people who can pay close to $100k for a Z06 will also be able to buy a 911 Turbo, even something like a 997.2 Turbo S.

I'd just get in the Corvette, look at the interior, and go, "I paid how much?" Chevy did a lot to dress up the C7, but I definitely would not call it world class.
When you mention chevy or GM vehicles in general to the average they don't think "oh yeah the car brand for the rich" like porsche. Same goes with chrysler. Reading the comments on the GC SRT, one comment after the next is "oh its overpriced", "$60k-70k for a chrysler ?!!! hell no" etc. And most will compare the GC srt to the ML63, X5M/X6M, porsche cayenne gts....I'm sure they are great and all however these compared to the jeep are $30-40k more, they might have a few more bells and whistles and little more HP, but paying a $100k for an suv for me is insane.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
When you mention chevy or GM vehicles in general to the average they don't think "oh yeah the car brand for the rich" like porsche. Same goes with chrysler. Reading the comments on the GC SRT, one comment after the next is "oh its overpriced", "$60k-70k for a chrysler ?!!! hell no" etc. And most will compare the GC srt to the ML63, X5M/X6M, porsche cayenne gts....I'm sure they are great and all however these compared to the jeep are $30-40k more, they might have a few more bells and whistles and little more HP, but paying a $100k for an suv for me is insane.
other than the obvious, how much different is an x5m vs an m5? same kind of brakes, motor, interior, tech etc etc. My complaint is they dont make a high end enough suv to compete with the upper end luxury cars, ex lambo/bentley/ferrari/rolls suv. When your looking at an e classe vs an ml or gl, yeah there in the same league. But what if your looking for another cgt, ghost etc? your only choice is range rover or cayenne for high end.

What is Bentley waiting for to roll out my suv... seriously guys get your act together.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand the argument. It's hard to place certain American car brands in the same context as some of the foreigns. But Porsche raises their prices on the 911 almost every year & they hold their value well. So looking at an $80-$90K Vette vs. a $110-$120 911 that's a big difference value wise. I believe that Porsche has some of the most beautiful interiors on the market, but I just wanna crawl before I walk. As far as the GT-R goes I'd like for that interior to be a tad bit better, but that car is an excellent value as well. The difference is that the 911 or GT-R would need to be used for me in my position. 911 would have to be more used than the GT-R. But with the starting price tag of the Z06 I could look new.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Then you'd fire the car up, hit the track, destroy everything within three times its price, and again go "I paid how much?" It's all relative. You cant have 458-beating performance and still expect 911 quality plastics at $79k. If you want to go faster than Ferrari's best, in a Germany quality cabin, then you're going to have to chuck another hundred large at your purchase.

About the price differences, absolutely disagree. I cannot afford a 911 Turbo S. That is a $183,000 car without an option box ticked. I can, just like many upper middle income Americans however, trade my paid off C6 Z06 in on a $79k C7 Z06 and have a car note the size of most guys driving a leased 3 series. Or, I can trade in my paid off C6 Z06 and Cummins Ram, have zero car note, and also be happy. At which point, I'm still $100,000 short of a 911 Turbo S.

That's simply the reality. $80k car sales must outnumber $180k cars probably somewhere between 50 and 100 to 1. And for a reason. It is anything but a trivial margin.

I understand the argument. It's hard to place certain American car brands in the same context as some of the foreigns. But Porsche raises their prices on the 911 almost every year & they hold their value well. So looking at an $80-$90K Vette vs. a $110-$120 911 that's a big difference value wise. I believe that Porsche has some of the most beautiful interiors on the market, but I just wanna crawl before I walk. As far as the GT-R goes I'd like for that interior to be a tad bit better, but that car is an excellent value as well. The difference is that the 911 or GT-R would need to be used for me in my position. 911 would have to be more used than the GT-R. But with the starting price tag of the Z06 I could look new.
You're comparing an $80-$90k C7 Z06 to a base $84k 911 with a few options ticked at your price point of $110-$120k. That car produces roughly one half the power of the C7Z at similar weight. Which is to say it's no comparison at all. To draw a legitimate Porsche comparison as far as performance metrics, you need to throw another $100,000 at Porsche. The Turbo S provides that competition, and it starts at $183,000.

Skews the field a bit.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then you'd fire the car up, hit the track, destroy everything within three times its price, and again go "I paid how much?" It's all relative. You cant have 458-beating performance and still expect 911 quality plastics at $79k. If you want to go faster than Ferrari's best, in a Germany quality cabin, then you're going to have to chuck another hundred large at your purchase.

About the price differences, absolutely disagree. I cannot afford a 911 Turbo S. That is a $183,000 car without an option box ticked. I can, just like many upper middle income Americans however, trade my paid off C6 Z06 in on a $79k C7 Z06 and have a car note the size of most guys driving a leased 3 series. Or, I can trade in my paid off C6 Z06 and Cummins Ram, have zero car note, and also be happy. At which point, I'm still $100,000 short of a 911 Turbo S.

That's simply the reality. $80k car sales must outnumber $180k cars probably somewhere between 50 and 100 to 1. And for a reason. It is anything but a trivial margin.

You're comparing an $80-$90k C7 Z06 to a base $84k 911 with a few options ticked at your price point of $110-$120k. That car produces roughly one half the power of the C7Z at similar weight. Which is to say it's no comparison at all. To draw a legitimate Porsche comparison as far as performance metrics, you need to throw another $100,000 at Porsche. The Turbo S provides that competition, and it starts at $183,000.

Skews the field a bit.
I was referring to a used 911 Turbo in that comparison. Should've made that clearer.

·
Registered
638 Posts

Skews the field a bit.
As I said in my post, even a 997 Turbo (or Turbo S) would work for me, opposed to the C7 Z06.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I was referring to a used 911 Turbo in that comparison. Should've made that clearer.
Understood now. In that context then, just for discussion, a used C6 Z06, even low mile and clean... is a $39k car if you're tacky enough to own yellow. :)

As I said in my post, even a 997 Turbo (or Turbo S) would work for me, opposed to the C7 Z06.
I apologize. I missed the 7. Read it as 991.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts