Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Completing Acura’s sedan lineup and continuing its new technology push, the all-new TLX model has been revealed today at the Detroit Auto Show with the choice of either an eight-speed or nine-speed automatic transmission.

While technically a concept, true to tradition the car is a thinly veiled version of the production model.

Replacing both the TL and TSX the TLX is 3.8 inches shorter than the current TL but mirrors that car’s 109.3-inch wheelbase. As a result, it fits right into the middle of the ILX and RLX in the brand’s three-car sedan lineup.

The big news, however, is what’s under the hood. Surprisingly it’s not the engines but two all-new transmissions. Rather than the six-speed automatic or even the new seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, Acura will offer either an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission or nine-speed automatic.

SEE ALSO: 2014 Detroit Auto Show Coverage

The TLX will also be available with two engines and with either front- or all-wheel drive. A new direct-injection 2.4-liter four-cylinder that Acura promises is “significantly lighter” than the brand’s previous 2.4L will come mated to the eight-speed DCT, while a 3.5-liter V6 gains the new nine-speed automatic.

Both engines will be offered in a front-wheel drive package with Acura’s Precision All-Wheel Steer (or P-AWS).

As for the all-wheel drive models, they will come exclusively with the V6 and nine-speed and the latest version of the brand’s SH-AWD system.

It isn’t surprising considering the multi-geared transmissions, but Acura is claiming fuel economy for the car will be class-leading.

To maximize driver enjoyment, the TLX will come with another Acura first called the “Integrated Dynamics System.” The system will deliver four driving modes to better customize the drive: ECON, Normal, Sport and Sport Plus. Each drive mode will adjust the settings for the electric power steering, throttle response, SH-AWD and P-AWS control logic, transmission shift timing and the Active Noise Control setting.

A long list of safety and convenience features will be available including a collision mitigating braking system, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, lane keeping assist, a blind spot indicator and adaptive cruise control with a low-speed follow function.

On display in Detroit the TLX Prototype is shod in a stunning Athletic Red Pearl paint and features Acura’s signature Jewel Eye LED headlights and big 20-inch wheels wrapped in wide 265/30ZR20 tires.

The TLX production model could debut as early at the Chicago Auto Show next month with an on-sale date for the 2015 model year car set to come later this year.

See more 2015 Acura TLX photos at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
343 Posts
Super basic design. Honda/Acura needs to up their game.
I wouldn't super basic design. Its Honda/Acura? What do you expect? What do you want it to look like.

I think it looks exactly how I envisioned the next generation TL to look.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Love it. I'm buying one. IMHO its one of the best looking luxury sedans for 35k or less. Just have to decide on the rev happy 2.4 with the dual clutch or the 3.5.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
343 Posts
Love it. I'm buying one. IMHO its one of the best looking luxury sedans for 35k or less. Just have to decide on the rev happy 2.4 with the dual clutch or the 3.5.

Tough call, why wouldn't they offer the 3.5 V6 with a dual clutch?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Tough call, why wouldn't they offer the 3.5 V6 with a dual clutch?
I'm not sure exactly. The 2.4 has FWD with P-AWD (Basically it feels like AWD even though it's FWD. It's a neat system), but the 3.5 as SH-AWD (real AWD. The SH-AWD will handle curves better then the P-AWD). I'm hoping eventually they will offer the 3.5 with the DCT, but I don't see the 2.4 getting SH-AWD since it's their lower end model. The K24 in the 2.4 is a fun engine though, I think the fact that it rev's so, so much is why they gave it the DCT. I really, really hope the production model gets the 265's like the prototype.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've never driven a 6-speed car and thought to myself "You know what this car needs? A few more gears. Yes. At least two more gears..."

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
At least it looks years better than the last generation TL. The beak was one of their worst move. I can see this gen selling 2x as much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks very plain, another sedan, pretty disappointing for the amount of hype that they created for this thing. I'm sure it's decently capable and well built but yawn inducing. Gotta start thinking about my next car, and as much as I've been a fan of honda/acura, I think my TSX is the last semi-interesting car they've put out. I had a '12 TL as a loaner and it drove like a couch on wheels.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Looks very plain, another sedan, pretty disappointing for the amount of hype that they created for this thing. I'm sure it's decently capable and well built but yawn inducing. Gotta start thinking about my next car, and as much as I've been a fan of honda/acura, I think my TSX is the last semi-interesting car they've put out. I had a '12 TL as a loaner and it drove like a couch on wheels.
Which year TSX do you have? I have a '13 CU2.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I remember back when Acura had cool cars.

I've kinda lost a lot of hope with Honda.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I remember back when Acura had cool cars.

I've kinda lost a lot of hope with Honda.
Soichiro Honda would be turning over in his grave with all the crap Honda/Acura have been putting out lately. For the most part Honda died in 2002. Acura in 2008.

After seeing the press conference though I have (some) hope in this car and Acura.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Which year TSX do you have? I have a '13 CU2.

2010, the V6 version. Honestly, Honda and Acura are doing well, but not in the market that pertains to auto enthusiasts. Soccer moms will continue to buy up MDXs, and the accord/civic will be a solid affordable staple for the foreseeable future.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts