Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I photographed, filmed, and drove around the GT500 & ZL1 for a day with Winding Road. I wanted to make a video where you could actually hear the cars, with accuracy, inside and out. No commentary, no talking, no BS. Just car sounds recorded with great audio, especially the POV part. See them, hear them, experience them here:

For the best listening experience during the POV video, put on a good set of headphones or earbuds. Enjoy.
-Chris

PS - WR is coming out with a comparison review soon, I'll update with a link when it's posted up.

Some specs:
2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Engine: V-8, 6.2 liters
Output: 580 hp/556 lb-ft
Weight: 4,120 lb
Fuel Economy, City/Hwy: 14/19
0-60 MPH: 3.9 sec (est)
Base Price: $54,995

2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang
Engine: V-8, 5.8 liters
Output: 650 hp/600 lb-ft
Weight: 3,852 lb
Fuel Economy, City/Hwy: 15/24
0-60 MPH: 3.5 sec (est)

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well done. I would've liked to have heard the GT500 and ZL1 one after the other when you revved them both at the beginning, but that's truly nitpicking. Great video.
Yeah, in hindsight that would have worked better. Also, I wish I turned off the ZL1 while I was revving the GT500. Oh, well - next time! Glad you enjoyed the video!

So, as someone that got to drive both of them? Any favorite? I haven't even ridden in either yet.
The ZL1 kicks ass. The amount of grip and balance it has in the corners is truly amazing. It makes you feel like you're driving a Grand-Am Camaro with a full-interior. But then, after driving the GT500, the ZL1 feels underpowered. But the GT500 just isn't as rewarding to drive. It handles more like the Mustang GT than a Boss 302. I really wanted to see Boss 302 levels of grip and balance around the turns from the GT500, and it just wasn't there. Drove the Boss a week before, and I prefer it to the GT500. It might even be a hard choice between the Boss 302 and the ZL1...it's that good!
Also the shifter in the GT500 is really finicky -throws are almost too short, it's notchy, but not precise. The Boss 302 could bang through gears so well, it was one of the best manual transmissions I've driven in a while. However, you don't really need to change gears in the GT500 much anyway, 2nd tops out around 90mph.

Here's that video on the Boss 302, btw:

· Registered
143 Posts
A few weeks ago I photographed, filmed, and drove around the GT500 & ZL1 for a day with Winding Road. I wanted to make a video where you could actually hear the cars, with accuracy, inside and out. No commentary, no talking, no BS. Just car sounds recorded with great audio, especially the POV part. See them, hear them, experience them here:

For the best listening experience during the POV video, put on a good set of headphones or earbuds. Enjoy.
-Chris

PS - WR is coming out with a comparison review soon, I'll update with a link when it's posted up.

Some specs:
2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Engine: V-8, 6.2 liters
Output: 580 hp/556 lb-ft
Weight: 4,120 lb
Fuel Economy, City/Hwy: 14/19
0-60 MPH: 3.9 sec (est)

2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang
Engine: V-8, 5.8 liters
Output: 650 hp/600 lb-ft
Weight: 3,852 lb
Fuel Economy, City/Hwy: 15/24
0-60 MPH: 3.5 sec (est)

Hey MrTopher2,

Could you also possibly do a vid for the auto trans zl1? I figure it would be a great tool for those considering the manual vs. auto in that car. :) Thanks and awesome video work.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We probably won't get one in until winter is over, but I'd love to test the auto ZL1 too. We'll be sure to do a video if/when it happens. Thanks!
-Chris

Hey MrTopher2,

Could you also possibly do a vid for the auto trans zl1? I figure it would be a great tool for those considering the manual vs. auto in that car. :) Thanks and awesome video work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.