Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just booked a family vacation to Italy next summer. Yeah, wish I didn't have to go in the summer, but I'm tied to the school calendar as my daughters will be 13 and 16 by the time we go.

Basic Itinerary:
NY to rome
Rome - 4 nights
Abruzzo - 1 night (this is where my grandparents on my father's side are from, so we're checking it out)
Amalfi Coast - 4 nights
Tuscany - 4 nights
Florence - 2 nights
Portofino Coast - 2 nights
Como - 3 nights
Venice - 3 nights
Venice to NY

Just curious, other than the obvious, if anyone knows of any "cool" things to do please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
461 Posts
If i recall correctly Maranello isn't too far from Florence (I remember passing it on the freeway from Rome but its been a few years). IMO 3 nights is alot in Venice, then again maybe in the summer it won't smell so bad...

Seems like a very nice trip though, you'll definitely be tired when you get back. We were there for 15 days and I couldn't wait to get back to school just to have a routine again lol.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I spent 12 days in Italy this last summer. Here are some pics!

Florence, The duermo is a must

Rome, some random Church

Big ass steel door! I'm 6'2''.

Tuscany: My Fiancé

Venice-you must see staint Marks-eat at a restaurant named "vesuvius"--Douges palace

Northern Italy: Bolzano

Rome:Vatican, Pantheon, Coll., Catacombs, Bourghese

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I will give you way more details, either post here or PM. I will tell you everything you need to know. I also spent 6 days in Austria and 2 days in Germany.

·
Sponsor
10,268 Posts
/\/\/\ Sikklightning, did you loose 1 camera for each pic that you had a local take for you?

Thinking of Chevy Chase in European vacation. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i recall correctly Maranello isn't too far from Florence (I remember passing it on the freeway from Rome but its been a few years). IMO 3 nights is alot in Venice, then again maybe in the summer it won't smell so bad...

Seems like a very nice trip though, you'll definitely be tired when you get back. We were there for 15 days and I couldn't wait to get back to school just to have a routine again lol.
Yeah, thanks for the feedback. My idea was to spend multiple nights everywhere so I wouldn't be "dragging" the kids around too fast. Tried to plan some downtime along the way. Now I'm thinking maybe it is a bit much.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the feedback. My idea was to spend multiple nights everywhere so I wouldn't be "dragging" the kids around too fast. Tried to plan some downtime along the way. Now I'm thinking maybe it is a bit much.
If you guys are going on your own it will be nice (no pesky tourguides pushing you around, which I guess has its benefits). I really did enjoy it, we were just really rushed; and the girlfriend that accompanied us was the pickiest eater on Earth so I didn't get many chances to have Italian food without an American influence. The country is great, and the art is fantastic... I hope you enjoy churches though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello all,

I just booked a family vacation to Italy next summer. Yeah, wish I didn't have to go in the summer, but I'm tied to the school calendar as my daughters will be 13 and 16 by the time we go.

Basic Itinerary:
NY to rome
Rome - 4 nights
Abruzzo - 1 night (this is where my grandparents on my father's side are from, so we're checking it out)
Amalfi Coast - 4 nights
Tuscany - 4 nights
Florence - 2 nights
Portofino Coast - 2 nights
Como - 3 nights
Venice - 3 nights
Venice to NY

Just curious, other than the obvious, if anyone knows of any "cool" things to do please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike
When in Florence... I would check out the Panerai store... Great place to buy a "hard to find" watches... I think only the Ceramic "Black Seal" has a waitlist there.... everything else... is not a problem... It's next to big church in a square.... There's a pizza place left to it and across the street that makes the best pizza.

Also, If you have more than 30 mins to kill... check out the Roberto Cavalli Cafe... it's 5 mins walking from the Panerai store.

If you have a Ferrari or a Maserati.... you can check out the factories at Maranello and Modena (you must let the dealership where you got the car that you're going so they can set up the appointment).

If you don't have one... there is a great Ferrari Muesum next to the factory.

FYI... IMHO, less than 20% of the people speak English... So bring a English to Italian book with you... if you don't speak Italian.

And in Venice.... expect to be "bent over" if you take the water taxis... and triple it when they go on strike. :lol:

Have Fun =)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Great trip! You'll really get to see the highlights of Italy. The contrast between the northern (hip) and southern (charming) parts is fantastic.

The only thing I could think of is that you don't really get to experience the "entire" Italian Riviera - just the icing of the cake (Portofino). I'd suggest a day trip to San Remo and/or Genova.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My wife and I basically did the exact same trip you scheduled in reverse for 24 days. We stayed in Cinque Terre for 5 days and Tuscany for 5 days. Rome 4, Lake Cuomo 3, the rest was a blurrrrrrr.......

Fantastic trip, lots of great memories. We visited in late September thru early October and the weather was perfect. Do as much homework as you can regarding site-seeing as there are so many things to see you can wear yourself out trying to fit it all in.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I spent 10 days in Florence - it is a GREAT city to walk (watch for pick-pockets though).

Aside from what everyone else has mentioned thus far (e.g., Il Duomo) - there is a fantastic restaurant called "Alle Murate" (Via Ghibellina, 52-red, Florence, Italy‎). It is primarily seafood, but it is fantastic!!

With your daughters in hand (beyond going to the Uffizi and / or the Galleria dell'Accademia for The David), if you have time, you should go to the Basilica of Santa Croce. It is the burial place of Michelangelo, Galileo, Marconi, etc. - Galileo and Michelangelo's tombs are on the walls!

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A quick thank you to all who took the time to respond. The suggestions are much appreciated, and will help make the trip even better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
sounds like a graet trip. you guys will love it.

know most of the places, it's not so far form munich.
if you go to the panerai store Plazza S. Giovanni, 16R (PALAZZO ARICIVESCOVILE) ask if you could get a look to the museum level. it's a smal place like the store on 2nd floor.

close to Florance (Firence) is mugello, one of ferraris tracks: they have a Ferrari hotel in Borgo S. Lorenzo the Ripaverde. i've stayed there during a driver training.

just ask for anything else.

enjoy your trip,

roland

·
Registered
124 Posts
Italy is a very nice country! Rich culture, good weather, delicious food, nice women, fast cars, ... Have fun!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Has anyone here done the Ferrari factory tour? it think it is about time I did it. Can anyone post their experiences as well as pictures? any additional information would be great even if it is about any other part of the country of Italy.

THX

1 - 19 of 19 Posts