Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I was all set to go buy a Ford GT, unfortunately some problems arose and I'm forced to put that on hold for now, however I still want a new fast toy and so I've decided to get a bike a Yamaha R6 to be exact. This will be my first bike and so my first question is would this a good first bike or will it be to much for a novice like me? My second question is if the R6 is to much for me then what would be a good bike for me? I'm open to all the advice and suggestions anyone can give me :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
what year R6? u will be fine. i wish i bought that instead of my CBR. they make good power and torque. as long as you can shift good from first to second within a few weeks you will have no need for a smaller bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A lot of people will tell you to start with a 250 or something small and in most cases this is good advice and I agree...I would highly suggest taking the MSF course if they offer it near you. It's two days usually and it'll give you the basics of riding...I also used my buddies 250 for a week before the class to get comfortable with riding. As long as you have a good head and wont go out right away and start pulling wheelies you should be fine. Just understand that it being a supersport bike, any movement or flick of the throttle and the bike reacts alot faster than say your 250 or cruise bike would...

Personally, I went a diff. route and I got a GSXR 600 as a first bike. I know the capabilities of the bike and learned to respect it. I only use it to the potential that i know i can handle and I've been fine...Just watch the other assholes out on the road...Goodluck man.

·
Registered
399 Posts
check with your local DMV. they have classes you can take for a small price and they loan you a bike to use and also will make sure you leave with a bike license. about $300 here in NY. 2 week class on weekends.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My second question is if the R6 is to much for me then what would be a good bike for me?
Like the others said, the first thing you need to do is take a motorcycle course, you will find out pretty quick if you even like biking, not everyone does.

Once you get a feel for the weight, speed and handling you will know if you should go up in cc's or not.
My first bike was a 650, then a 750 than a 1100 and eventually a 1350.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
there is a great thread we did about first bikes in here. let me see if i can find it. also, dont buy a bike right away. take the safety class, then decide what you want. I am not sure if you have ridden before, but you can even go rent a bike... take it out and see how you like it.

The reason most say a 250, and buy used for a first bike is because its a great learning platform. also, you dont have to worry about dropping it and costing a lot of money

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
check out this thread. read past the small talk, but there is some great advice and links.

also, please take this class. not only for you, but family and people around you

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

·
Registered
758 Posts
I would never get a brand new bike for my first bike... odds are very very good you are going down, why wreck up a new bike....

·
Registered
316 Posts
People on here have given great advise so far. I personally took the DMV course and got my license, then after that I got a Suzuki 600 and it was definatly not to powerful. I personally sold it and got a 750 within the firdt month of riding. And after that I had it all and love riding. nothing beats a Torbo'd Busa doing 100mph burn outs.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I would never get a brand new bike for my first bike... odds are very very good you are going down, why wreck up a new bike....
starting with a 250 and/or a used bike is great advice. it also depends on the person, i dont know you so i couldnt say "yea youll be fine on a 600"

for me, i went bought a brand new 600, i also bought the bike and respected the bike and the fact that it could take my life in an instant. unlike a friend of mine who thought he could keep up for his first time in the twisties. 30 minutes later he didnt lean hard enough caught the dirt on the outside of the road, grabbed the front brake and wound on his back.

it also depends on the riding your doing, most people riding street dont need above a 600 because they will NEVER use its true potential on a public roadway.

i still regret that i havent taken the course yet, but would urge any new rider to do.

and have you ever ridden a motorcycle before? if not, and ur stuck on buying a new 600, go take the course FIRST.

as far as your bike choice, why the R6? i wouldnt be stuck on one bike, i would go sit on all the 600 class bikes, get opinions from people who have ridden different models, i walked into the dealership to by a gsxr600 and walked out with cbr600rr, and dont regret it at all.

and last, make sure when you buy the bike you have money to buy gear.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Seeing as this is your first bike, I would highly suggest doing some more research on riding; there are dozens if not hundreds of motorcycle-specific forums with a lot more information than what you'll find here.

I would also search within L4P for some more opinions.

http://www.luxury4play.com/motorcycle/63427-what-should-my-first-bike.html

That thread asks the same question and has some good advice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
also forgot to add...check out buying the book "A Twist of the Wrist" I and II...

It's def. more geared to racing, but has very good techniques and well written to understand the fundamentals of riding...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts