Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished my FSB build so, I figured I'd share my latest build with you guys. I've always liked the old LC's but most of the ones I found for sale were rust buckets. I finally came across one with minimal rust in Chicago of all places. Turns out, it was only a mile north of my place in the city.

After putting it on a lift and checking out the frame, it had some surface rust underneath but nothing serious. The maintenance records for this rig are the most complete and anal shit I've ever seen on ANY car, EVER. The guy had a binder filled with everything that has ever been done to the truck along with receipts. He also had a notebook with the date, mileage, and gallons of gas it took everytime he filled it up. So, I decided I had to have it.

I drove it while I was up there for the last few months and then trailered it back down to Florida to start the build. Here's what it looked like the day I bought it.

Once I got it home to Florida, I ordered the Old Man Emu 3" lift, a set of 33" Deegan 38 Mickey's on 15x10 wheels, custom front and rear bumpers, and some 4.11 gears.

My builder kept me updated with progress pics of the bumpers and tire carrier. He used the rig he's building to mock them up.

The final product after everything was installed.

You'll have to forgive the license plate, it came off my old H1. It really looked stupid when I was rolling around with it bf the build.

I loaded her up to have the engine pulled. I'm either going to have the 2F motor rebuilt or have an LS1 engine installed. I'm still weighing my options. Either way, it'll be ready to roll by the time I get back down there in December.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Land Cruisers are built like tanks, they'll drive through the apocalypse lol
Congrats and I'm in for moar progress pics!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Love it mate,

I learn't to drive in a 80 hj61 I still think of buying one to restore. After seeing yours I might have to!
Just very hard to find a clean one. You hit the jackpot.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Love it! I've been on Expedition Portal a lot lately and it really makes me want to go out and get an old LC, 4Runner or Tacoma.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I am the first guy to scream LS swap, at pretty much anyone and anything that will listen. LS's are like Ebola for cars. And I love it. I scream it at people with Volvos, people with Miatas, people with Ford Aerostars, people with johnboats.

With all that said.... something about this says "keep it indigenous", at least to me. I know they're not nearly as powerful or efficient, but what about a Tundra V8? Just want to see this thing keep some heritage. I don't know why. It's too cool and too OG to go sacrilegious with.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wide tires, that are harder to balance, are louder, are harder on steering and bearings, and stick out past the body to undoubtedly keep the sides of the vehicle dirty are a better function how?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Are you inferring width inherently determines a tire's ability to balance? Construction, design, and distribution of content imbalances a tire. I've balanced plenty of narrow swampers that are so out of round they're unstreetable, and plenty of 345 series tires that run true to a tenth of an ounce.

Louder tires are of how much concern when piloting a near three decade old steel box with a noisy drivetrain, milk jug aerodynamics, and rattling armor? It's not a Bentley.

Sure they're harder on steering and bearings. And installing a more efficient, more powerful, and more reliable engine (should he choose to) is going to be harder on drivetrain components. What's your point? Every modification is a balance of pro and con- all impart new stresses.

Sticking out past the body keeps the truck dirtier? It's a Land Cruiser that was just shod with mud tires and rock armor. How would you interpret the vehicle's purpose? Once again, not a Bentley.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am the first guy to scream LS swap, at pretty much anyone and anything that will listen. LS's are like Ebola for cars. And I love it. I scream it at people with Volvos, people with Miatas, people with Ford Aerostars, people with johnboats.

With all that said.... something about this says "keep it indigenous", at least to me. I know they're not nearly as powerful or efficient, but what about a Tundra V8? Just want to see this thing keep some heritage. I don't know why. It's too cool and too OG to go sacrilegious with.
This is a great point - I really like the build, particularly the stance and paint color. When my wife is done with her Sequoia I plan to get her a Land Crusher. I've always loved them. Of course it's a Toyota truck so that won't be for 100's of thousands of miles!

Reactions: Nolan

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why ruin the classic look with such wide wheels and tires?
What you refer to as "Ruin" I prefer to call "Improve." I build all my vehicles to my taste. I build them for me to use and enjoy, not the next guy.
I can appreciate people who like the stock, classic look of any vehicle but that guy isn't me.

Sticking out past the body keeps the truck dirtier? It's a Land Cruiser that was just shod with mud tires and rock armor
Well said !

Initially, I wanted to go with an LS swap. Then, a 2jz, then, I decided to just rebuild the stock 2F motor. After a lot more back and forth and tons of research, I ended up getting a great deal on custom built LQ9 6.0 long block rated at 440hp. It's basically, an iron block LS2.

I say basically bc the crank, rods, and pistons are the same. Obviously, the LS2 is an aluminum block and weighs about 100lbs less. There are a few other minor differences but none of which concern me more than the extra weight of the iron block. However, with the cash I saved up front, I'll have a little extra gas money down the road for all the extra ponies and weight.

The motor just arrived at my buddies shop and he sent me some pics. The install should begin in the next week or so. He's a great friend and mechanic but his photography skills are seriously lacking.

Anyways, the ball is finally rolling so, future problems are sure to follow.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Extremely cool, and as stated before, I'm an LSophile, so I'm completely with you on the LQ. They are indeed a lot more affordable with no mechanical disadvantage, and with the inherent weight of that LC, the aluminum to iron variance is negligible. It's not a featherweight rig to begin with. The balance matters on a 3000lb Vette, not so much on your rig.

As I'm sure you know, should you eventually lose some marbles and decide to pressurize it, those iron LQs are the bee's knees stuffed with a mere 16psi. ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I'm sure you know, should you eventually lose some marbles and decide to pressurize it, those iron LQs are the bee's knees stuffed with a mere 16psi. ;)
I like your way of thinking Nolan ! I'd definitely have to be crazy to boost the LC but I was perfectly sane when I turbo'd my Lightning =)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts