Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This project all stared in early 2011. After years of claiming I would never build another "old" vehicle I decided I waned something different and always wanted one of these when I was in high school so I started searching the net for a vintage IH Scout II. I found a company in Grass Valley, CA that builds Scouts had a 1976 IH Scout II for sale. Here is the way the truck looked when they listed it and the build sheet:

●RECONDITIONED 304 V8 ENGINE
●NEW REBUILT 727 TRANSMISSION W/ B&M INTERNALS
●RECONDITIONED DANA 20 TRANSFER CASE
●RECONDITIONED RADIATOR
●CV REAR DRIVESHAFT / LONGTRAVEL FRONT DRIVESHAFT
●CPT SPRING OVER AXLE CONVERSION
●CPT REVERSE SHACKLE KIT
●BILSTEIN SHOCKS
●CPT REAR SWAYBAR
●REBUILT DANA 44 REAR AXLE WITH OX-LOCKER & 4.56 GEARS
●REBUILT DANA 44 FRONT AXLE WITH 4340 CHROMOLY AXLES & 4.56 GEARS
●COMPLETE PSC STEERING SYSTEM WITH HYDRAULIC ASSIST
●RPT MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION MOUNTS
●CUSTOM REAR BUMPER WITH TIRE/GAS CAN CARRIER
●CUSTOM 6 POINT ROLL CAGE
●FRONT BUCKET SEATS
●RE-UPHOLSTERED REAR BACK SEAT
●FRONT GM BRAKE CONVERSION
●16" WHEELS W/ 35" TIRES
●PARTSMIKE HYSTEER KIT
●1" BODY LIFT
●CPT ROCKER PROTECTED ROCKSLIDERS
●AIR CONDITIONING

I ended up purchasing the truck and having it shipped to Canada to begin the long process of getting t the way I want it. Upon arrival, the truck had many warts and flaws not seen in the pics and a few things were in order to get her looking and running properly. First off the tires were ruined so they were replaced with 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I then sent the truck over to my trusty car stereo and customizing shop to completely rewire the truck with a new painless waterproof wiring harness, install a Clarion marine stereo with Alpine marine speakers and a pioneer sub. Installed a new custom carpet kit and replaced the factory dash with all new auto meter gauges, a new soft top and a super scout grill.

So the project went WAYYYY over budget last year and we didn't get anything really done over the winter but she went out for paint this week and is getting painted a matte dark gunmetal grey. In progress paint and body pics so far

As soon as the paint and body is done early next week she's getting a few tweaks at the stereo shop and a tune up because the carb is acting up on start up and she'll be getting an incredibly hardcore front/rear bumper combo from Anything Scout and I think she'll be done. I'll follow up with pics as this progresses.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Nice build. A few years ago I picked up a 67 factory air, factory winch 4wd Travelall from a barn in New Mexico. This thread gave me some new inspiration to start that project.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice build. A few years ago I picked up a 67 factory air, factory winch 4wd Travelall from a barn in New Mexico. This thread gave me some new inspiration to start that project.
Nice! Mine has factory air but the idiot that owned it before me ripped the vent unit that mounted below the dash out and it just dumps into the cabin now. It still works fine though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Love the original Broncos. Make a thread and show us what you;re doing with it! Have you seen the Broncos that ICON are building?
The ICON Bronco's are sick! I don't have many pics, but here is my '74...I'll try and start a thread later...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ICON Bronco's are sick! I don't have many pics, but here is my '74...I'll try and start a thread later...
Damn dude that's nice! Was out at the shop again this morning and they threw an initial coat of primer/sealer on. Still needs to be completely block sanded and finish work done before paint but we're getting there. Ordering custom front and rear bumpers tonight and some odds and ends. Here are the latest pics

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Few more pics from today. All block sanded and getting some more finishing done. Was supposed to be getting 2 more coats of primer after I left and will be ready for paint by late week. Blew another $2k on custom front and rear bumpers, new vent windows for the doors, all new weatherstripping and turn signal/marker lights, wiper arm upgrade kit, new Jerry can and some odds and ends. Gotta wait 3-5 weeks for the bumpers to get fabricated though :(

·
Registered
519 Posts
Awesome build, I love these.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In for more pics! I love how rugged these old 4x4s still look 30 years later.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In for more pics! I love how rugged these old 4x4s still look 30 years later.
My painter has supposedly been taking pics himself as he goes and as soon as I go to pick it up I will do a full series of pics before we take it back to my shop to detail it and install the last batch of parts as they arrive in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait for this to be done and get driving it

1 - 20 of 59 Posts