Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leave for Poland on the 27th. Going to Slupsk, Warsaw, and Krakow.
I have spent a lot of time in Krakow and am really looking forward to my visit. I went to Warsaw before but was outside of the city both times, not very fun. I am told Slupsk is in the middle of nowhere.
Any members from Poland? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was living in PL for 17 years.

Clubbing? Museums and stuff? Architecture?

Lemme think about it. Bunch of places.

Surowy, pozdro :)
Always looking for good food, high quality entertainment (not strippers or clubbing), and church architecture.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So you want to avoid the path normally reserved for tourists in Warsaw? Nevertheless I suggest you to visit some of the points that tourists go to in Warsaw:). I.e. Krakowskie Przedmieście.

Ok. Now I will enlist some places that locals go to (I will add their webpages so you can find them faster):

Bars (Street name) - Lemonbar (Sienkiewicza), Sketch (Foksal), Casatotu (casatotu.pl Nowy Świat - they serve best drinks in the world)

Food - Sushi: sotosushi.pl, sensosushi.pl (my favourite), Italian: vilano.pl, Bukieteria Roma (Mokotowska 49), Polish food: Przegryź (Mokotowska 52), you may also be interested in visiting: strefagourmet.pl

Clubs: platinumclub.pl, nineclub.eu, Mazowiecka street.

Shopping: likuskonceptstore.pl - this store has some nice architecture inside as well you can eat something there

Newly opened science centre is also worth a visit - kopernik.org.pl.

There are many more but I think that it is enough for a short visit in Warsaw...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
When you go to Krakowskie Przedmiescie and you see thousands of people either celebrating or praying on knees, just pass them and continue walking :D

I'm not originally from Warsaw but if I was to go there again, I think I'd use Surowy's advice.

You should check out the Palace of Culture. Top floor gets you an awesome view of the city. I think it's like 10-15PLN($4-$5) to get in.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
17 Posts
From Wiertnicza (your location) you are close to vilano.pl and sensosushi.pl. The military museum is also on Wiertnicza street. As you wish you can also consider chinagarden.pl. If you like military museums there is also Muzem Wojska Polskiego near Plac Trzech Krzyży and Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego on Grzybowska St (Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego recommended by everyone who visited it but I still haven't been there so I have no opinion).What is your visit's purpose if you don't mind asking?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From Wiertnicza (your location) you are close to vilano.pl and sensosushi.pl. The military museum is also on Wiertnicza street. As you wish you can also consider chinagarden.pl. If you like military museums there is also Muzem Wojska Polskiego near Plac Trzech Krzyży and Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego on Grzybowska St (Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego recommended by everyone who visited it but I still haven't been there so I have no opinion).What is your visit's purpose if you don't mind asking?
Thank you for the recommendations. I will try my best to catch a couple. My purpose for coming is business. The company I do contracting for works with Wszechnica Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego. I think the Warsaw and Krakow trainings I am doing are both sponsored by Wszechnica.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leaving in a few hours. Just checked the weather for the duration of my trip. Will be a brisk 4 degrees F to 30 degrees F. I think I should have packed warmer!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Defnately you should pack sonething warm. We have snow in Poland (not sure about the warsaw because I m outside the city till tomorrow) and forecasts expect even more snow in upcoming week:)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Defnately you should pack sonething warm. We have snow in Poland (not sure about the warsaw because I m outside the city till tomorrow) and forecasts expect even more snow in upcoming week:)
Thank you! I packed pretty warm. I spend most of my time inside so I think I will be ok.
Going to make it hard to get some runs in.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you enjoy your stay in Poland?
Thank you for asking! The trip was a little crazy. Slupsk was cold as cold can be! The students there were nice and I enjoyed teaching them.
Getting from Slupsk to Warsaw, was a nightmare. The evening I was supposed to fly the Gdansk airport was closed all day. They said to come to the airport the next morning and I would be on standbye, along with everyone else from the previous day when the airport was closed ALL day. To ensure my arrival in time to Warsaw, the promoter encouraged me to accept a ride to Warsaw with the translator. The ride turned out to be 12 hours on icy, windy, snowy back roads.
Just when I thought it was over, I realized that the Warsaw Apartments did not offer No Smoking Rooms, and me being highly allergic needed a different solution at 10pm at night.
4 hour and 25 or so phone calls later, I finally got to Polonia Palace in downtown Warsaw. They are a 4 star hotel that deserves 5 stars! I would recommend it to anyone, and the pricing is very fair for the amazing service and amenities.
The group that I taught in Warsaw was another story all together. I have never experienced such and uncooparative and unfriendly group of students. I am still trying to figure out what went astray there.
Because of the challenges in the classroom, I got no exploring of any kind done in Warsaw.
Krakow was the mirror opposite. The group was great! The Park Inn in Krakow is also very nice, with the only downside bing the waiter in restaurant being a little bit unhelpful and unnattentive.
I got a few short excursions out in Krakow and really had a great time.
I got home late late Monday night, and am still waiting on my luggage to catch up with me. In Munich I barely, by like 30 seconds made it to my plane, and my bags didn't make it.
I am headed back in January to repeat the same trip. Hopefully will get out a little more while I am there.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As soon as I get done in Brazil, I headed back to Poland. Expecting about a 90 degree temperature swing between Sao Paulo and Gdansk, oh joy!

This time I insisted that the company put me up at the Hotel Polonia Palace in Warsaw. This trip is too long to stay at a half baked place. Crossing my fingers, and saying my prayers that the weather is reasonable. I have 13 seperate flight legs on this trip, and I want to catch every one of them!

I got my Star Alliance Silver Card in the mail the other day! Should hit Gold status this year. Wishing I had it this trip so I could use the lounges and priority boarding. Oh, well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts