Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This whole thing started last year when I was out detailing one day and heard the distinctive roar of radial engines over head. I looked up and to my amazement I saw a WWII B24 Liberator!!!!!!!!! My understanding was that there were none in the world that were airworthy.

After a little research I found out that over 18,000 of these aircraft were made during WWII and that the the Collings Foundation flies the worlds last airworthy B24J Liberator.

Recently while on their Facebook page I found out that the Collings Foundation "Wings of Freedom" tour was making it's way to Southern California. Soon after that they posted this photo of their two WWII vintage bombers while in Arizona. You can clearly see that the B-24 is severely oxidized.

I posted on their page that when it gets here we need to wash and wax it.

About a week later I was onsite at Brackett airport in La Verne, Ca. to welcome the bombers. I made contact with the crew chief Whitney and told him that I could save the finish on the B-24. He gave me the go-ahead.

I made a few calls and secured the backing of a great long time client of mine Gary Johnson of ACE Clearwater Enterprises in Torrance, Ca and Meguiars was going to donate the materials.
One of the stops during the tour was going to be at the Lyon Museum. We polished two WWII Bombers for them in 2009 so I knew working on the B-24 there should not be a problem. A quick call to my buddy Mark Foster and th elocation was set.

A few calls later I had secured a team of friends/detailers to perform the work.
Kevin Brown aka, "BUFF DADDY" stepped up and provided lunch for the entire crew.

The Witchcraft paint restoration project was born!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
8:00 AM, Thursdays May 9th couldn't have arrived quick enough!! I was very excited to work on "Witchcraft."

Once on site the B-24 people told us that a couple of flights had been booked that morning. They regretfully informed us that we had to wait a few hours before we got started. That news bummed us out but what could we do. We soon where cheered up when we were told that as a thank you for the work we were about to do that we could take a seat on some of the flights that were not full! WHAT!?!?! WHERE THEY KIDDING!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!

Here are a few picks of when I went up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once the we were back on the ground it was time to get to work. The first thing we had to do was to unload the trailer and assemble the scaffolding. We also filled bottles and distributed polishers.

After all the equipment and materials were distributed it was time for a quick briefing about safety and our plan of attack to restore the finish.

This poor girl was badly faded so we had our work cut out for us. Some of the crew started on the right wing.

Others worked on the fuselage.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Can't believe nobody has commented yet. Great work! Looks like you guys had your work cut out for you but had tons of fun doing it. Keep it up!

·
5,744 Posts
Ironically, I saw this plane flying around while it was in town. In a world filled with big jets, and small personal aircraft, the sound and shape of this plane is unmistakable. Had I known it was Brackett, I probably would have brought my dad to see it.

-Markus-

·
Gold Sponsor
3,967 Posts
Thank you for doing this! My late grandfather was a mechanic on a B-24 in the Pacific Theater during WWII.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts