Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mother has been looking for a winter car for up here in pa and I pursuaded her into the new c class. everybody here knows the old c classes rap for being the 16yr old girls first car etc etc but let me tell you, after putting 20miles on this down one of the loops i ride my bikes on this thing is on a whole new level. The sport pkg for 2200$ i cant imagine having one without it, steering is the best electronic feel from any mb i have driven and is only ever so slightly less direct than my fathers new 15 S4 he got last week or my 14 gs350F which i think should start to tell you something. brakes are fantastic on the street with 4pots up front with a nice large swept rotor surface which id estimate to be 30% larger than swept surface of similar class sport coupes (335i cough cough) and suspension spring rates are slightly softer than the S4 and the damping is similar so very little body roll but the car does "take a set" when stuck into a corner, obviously under steers like every benz. Gearbox is the most flawless torque converter setup ive driven and is very smooth in comfort mode and doesnt slip a tall gear at low speed or do anything but operate like a slower DSG essentially. the 4matic is not my cup of tea since im not an awd guy but ill play with it in a snow storm in the coming months on blizzacks and find out.

Motor is the 2.0t doing 241hp 273tq and its making all 273tq at 1500rpm. feels great for the intended purpose and design of the car but runs outo steam near the top, its a thick,meaty midrange motor as intended. imo prime cannidate for cranking up the boost 5lbs w a tune and making some serious tq but doesnt look like anyone has made a map for them yet. Motor is deffinately down from the S4 but it has the exact same feel just less.

The car is has everything but the drivers assistance pkg for the radar cruise and lane keeping stuff. MB likely made a mistake by bolstering the seats as much as they did, its not as much as the c63amg but clearly the amg sport pkg has SPORT driving in mind. the stitching on the dash, doors and seat is really really good and the panel gaps and amount of plastic inside is very very minimal. It has the optional brumester sound system which i havent tried yet. The nav and touch screen system is definitely not for older folks and has 3 or 4 redundant ways to get to what you are trying to adjust or imput, not a fan of making things more complex for the sake of complexity as done here but things do work and everything is in HD and full color. Backseat has more room than any other car in class by a huge margin, I can sit behind myself in a driving position and still not be cramped at all.

It rained the night she got the car and the headlights got super fogged up so of course I had to drop it off and leave it after she only had it for 1 day and just got a black base 4matic for a loaner im going to wail on.

Time will tell on this car but so far it seems like a great addition to herd and certainly a very stylish one. Having closely examined the cla, make no mistake, the new C class is no longer the entry level MB.

Go and drive one but make sure it has the sport pkg.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thank you for the review! I have a 13 C300 and was looking at the new ones. I had some concerns about a turbo 4, did not like the non-sport car's ride height, and I'm still on the fence about the "floating" nav display... So after driving it would you get the 300 or the 400 (v6)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the review! I have a 13 C300 and was looking at the new ones. I had some concerns about a turbo 4, did not like the non-sport car's ride height, and I'm still on the fence about the "floating" nav display... So after driving it would you get the 300 or the 400 (v6)?

Thanks!

If you want a true sports car wait for the c63, besides, her car was 52k, with the v6 it would have been at least 56k and what is that really getting you in what is a "sporty" small luxury car.

·
Registered
492 Posts
im a fan, buy or lease? if lease how much are you paying a month?

·
Registered
553 Posts
not a fan of the C the E-class non amg is better.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you want a true sports car wait for the c63, besides, her car was 52k, with the v6 it would have been at least 56k and what is that really getting you in what is a "sporty" small luxury car.
Thanks. I live in the midwest so I need four wheel drive; this is my winter dd. Love the c63 but I may just pony up to the CLS63...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
my 06 330i was 51k back almost 10 years ago with a shitty idrive non awd and with a less sophsicated gearbox and motor, how are these prices out of line? this is deffinately a nicer car for 1k more.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All the cars in that category are just ridiculous for their prices, not just the C class specifically.
For example, I will never drop $35k on a base model FWD A4
I'd rather have a fwd a4 than a Camry or accord but that's a whole nother thing.
the most car per dollar when talking brand new is either 3 series a4 or c300. Options make the car even tho they are 30-50% of the total price

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'd rather have a fwd a4 than a Camry or accord but that's a whole nother thing.
the most car per dollar when talking brand new is either 3 series a4 or c300. Options make the car even tho they are 30-50% of the total price
I'd stick to the lightly used or CPO market for German cars, as long as cars with my desired specs are available.
Also, the Charger and 300 are awesome for the money too >_>
My Charger's pretty much loaded to the brim and it's close to the price of a basic 328i

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The new Accord's are sharp vehicles. Just saying. For the 50k price point I would much rather pick up a used AMG. Glad you and mom are happy though, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You cannot compare used to brand new. Of COURSE you can get more car for the money. Could have got a c63 e63 s600 etc for the same money but old is old and new is new.

Jag is supposed to be coming out w an "entry level" competitor here pretty soon, we'll see how that turns out. Knowing jag it's gonna be the fat, prude girl at prom

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You cannot compare used to brand new. Of COURSE you can get more car for the money. Could have got a c63 e63 s600 etc for the same money but old is old and new is new.

Jag is supposed to be coming out w an "entry level" competitor here pretty soon, we'll see how that turns out. Knowing jag it's gonna be the fat, prude girl at prom
That's like saying a 29 year old is better than a 30 year old model. That one year shouldn't make much of a difference lol
Also, I know firsthand that Jaguar (esp. the XJR) will kick the shit out of many cars in the segment. Plus it's sexy as hell.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you don't mind a year old and slightly used vehicle, let someone else take the initial (biggest) depreciation of driving a brand new car off the lot. If I was going after something that was going to be one off and I was going to keep it for the rest of my life, yes brand new would be the way but if you're someone like me who changes cars every year or so, it doesn't make sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts