Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shot this a few weeks ago at Driveway Austin. The track day was put on by Texas Euro-Fest. Have I mentioned how much I like the Spyker? I'm not a huge fan of red, but it works for the C8, additionally it is the only red Spyder in the world, making it one of two red C8s, the other being a Laviolette.

More photos: Red Spyker C8 Spyder at the Track

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's cool to see. I'm surprised the owner didn't know about the tan one, I'll have to let him know (bit of a bummer, but 1 of 2 red spyders in the world isn't too shabby). I guess I'll have to go though and change all my data to 1 of 3. If a moderator sees this, please change the post title. EDIT: Scratch the 1 of 3, still 1 of 2, see below.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
man I don't know which I like better the coupe or vert....the frameless glass looks ridiculous but so does that scoop on the roof...that would be a seriously tough decision

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
and he did drive it - spun twice on the first lap. Driveway's LRI is small, tight - hard not to overdrive it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Awesome video! I might pick up a C8 Aileron in a year or two...

Reactions: Mr. New York

·
Registered
20 Posts
Spyker Corrections

Hello,

I'm the owner of the Red Spyker in this thread, and I just thought I might help clarify a couple of things. To my knowledge, there are STILL only two red Spykers in the world; One is my red C8 Spyder and the other is the C8 Laviolette you have access to from Flickr. The reason for the confusion is that the Laviolette started life as a Spyder and then underwent a conversion to its present Laviolette form. If you double check the pictures from the various links on the Spyker with tan interior, you will see the same front tag on both the Spyder and the Laviolette ;)

The second correction is that I spun once :eek: With cold tires on the very first lap in a left turn after the rear straight, the rear weight bias and engine braking from easing off the accelerator caused a traction loss at the rear resulting in the spin! That being said, there were other memorable moments of tail-wagging and (ahem) less than perfect race lines :lol: It was, otherwise, a great day to be out and explore the handling on the track!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It was good to see you drive it!

I had one of the big 'in front of everyone' huge spins of the day - broke a toe under the clutch pedal! LR1 it soooo tight for rear-biased cars - but at least we get to demostrate snap-oversteer for the crowd!

·
Registered
180 Posts
BknBlk, good to see you on L4P. I love your red Spike aka the "Coke can"
I'm glad you got to experience your car on the track, there is nothing better then driving a RAW Spyker to the limits!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great to be on the this forum! I'm also glad to see some of my fellow Spyker Owner forum colleagues already here :D

LR1 it soooo tight for rear-biased cars - but at least we get to demostrate snap-oversteer for the crowd!
Indeed we did! Sorry to hear about the toe. Ouch. Your Esprit is one of the most track-equipped cars I've ever seen.Glad to see it's getting regular use.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Great to be on the this forum! I'm also glad to see some of my fellow Spyker Owner forum colleagues already here :D
Welcome to the 4! Would you mind giving a short, honest write-up about owning a Spyker? I'm seriously considering a C8 Aileron in the near future (1-3 years out)...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Spyker Experience

I absolutely love my Spyker! When first introduced (and even more so since...), I thought it was the most beautiful exotic I had ever seen. Its craftsmanship, originality, and limited production are huge factors in my ongoing fascination with the vehicle. It is a very visceral driver’s car with limited comforts (e.g. no traction control, power steering, power brakes, cup holders, etc.). All the glory, or infamy, of the car’s performance rests squarely upon the driver’s technical ability. It is a very lightweight car (~2800# dry) which gives it a good power to weight ratio despite “only” having 400hp. With the horizontal adjustable racing suspension components and F-1 style pedal setup, the car drives with a very aggressive personality. The ride is firm, but not jarring or unpleasant at all. The handling is phenomenal and the feedback from the unassisted steering/brakes makes you want to get into some curves at speed. The exhaust note is beautifully tuned and can even be muted (Why, though?) by the flip of a toggle to ‘Whisper Mode’ if you don’t want to draw more attention than you already are.

This car is certainly not for everyone, particularly those who are most concerned with comparing stats and instantaneous recognition. It is certainly an extroverted car, so you can’t be afraid of attention. There is ALWAYS a group that forms around the car in parking lots or questions from the next lane at stop lights. The Spyker really refuses to be categorized in the traditional sense. In my mind, it falls more into the personal statement and collectible category than the horsepower war or latest-and-greatest division. With the exposed transmission linkage, quilted leather interior, engine turned aluminum dash/console, centerlock wheels, the aircraft-like toggle switch ignition (preceding the Aventador) the Spyker is more art than automobile. My other cars will come and go, but I don’t think my Spyker will ever grow old.

Good luck in your search, and I’d be happy to answer any specifics about my Spyker experience. Happy New Year!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts