Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My daily driver has victimized by electrical gremlins.

Its an '08 6spd 49K miles which I never had an issue with until 2 mos ago when the shift linkage broke.

VW fixed it under warranty and gave me back the car with no interior lights

I didnt notice it right away as I dont use the car as much in summer.

2 days ago while trying to find the faulty fuse I accidently pulled the airbag fuse. I put it back and also replaced the faulty 7.5 amp int light fuse.

Lights turn on, but now air bag light is on...

So I take the car to stealer, and they tell me its my fault the light is on and charge me $125 to clear the computer and send me on my way. I chaulk it up to experience and move on with my day.....

I leave dealer and everything works.

Take the car out for lunch... dome lights are again dead....... I put in a new 7.5 amp fuse and now it instantly pops..........

Car is right at the limit on MFR warranty and I have about 6months left on it.

If there are any VW enthusiasts in here that know about these cars I'd like to hear your opinions..

My gut tells me to turn it in early and get something else.

I have heard nightmares about the black art of fixing VW electrical issues.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I have the same car and had a similar problem one time... i replaced the fuse and never had a problem after that... but now the car doesnt know i am opening the driver's door, which is supposed to engage the fuel pump, so i have weak starts...

my advice, is go to the stealership and trade it in for another used GTI... make it there problem

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same car and had a similar problem one time... i replaced the fuse and never had a problem after that... but now the car doesnt know i am opening the driver's door, which is supposed to engage the fuel pump, so i have weak starts...

my advice, is go to the stealership and trade it in for another used GTI... make it there problem
I am done with VW after this. I was going to pick up a CC 2.0 for my DD and they wanted some rediculous price.. So now I am completely turned off by dealer and there are not many around here.

Ive had other issues with windows, drivetrain, clunks that I have learned to live with. AS its a V Dub..

But days are getting shorter here now and its a PITA

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am done with VW after this. I was going to pick up a CC 2.0 for my DD and they wanted some rediculous price.. So now I am completely turned off by dealer and there are not many around here.

Ive had other issues with windows, drivetrain, clunks that I have learned to live with. AS its a V Dub..

But days are getting shorter here now and its a PITA
I hear you. I think the best idea for you would be to move on to something other than VW's.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys... I ended up dumping the car 2 days later. The service and treatment I received was a joke.

Ended up getting a g37x sedan.

Not nearly as fun to drive as the GTI, but I need the room and creature comforts...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love how you guys are so quick to call the dealer a stealership ...

think about it ! WTF did you go play around with the fuses in the first place ?

Car is under MFR why did you not just bring in the car speak to them about the problem and get it fixed for free?

Now you bring in the car for the airbag light and dont even mention the problem with the dome light ...Why ? the car is there get it fixed !

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Car is under MFR why did you not just bring in the car speak to them about the problem and get it fixed for free?

Now you bring in the car for the airbag light and dont even mention the problem with the dome light ...Why ? the car is there get it fixed !

As I said previously. I owned up to the fuse charge. I have owned many cars and turned enough wrenches that I dont like running to the dealer, missing a day or work (because vw has no loaners) because of a fuse.

And I did mention the dome light the second time. I told them that was how I ended up pulling the wrong fuse which I paid for and how I ended up in the dealer.

Read the facts.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts

we call it that because they steal ya monies.....no matter what..they will get ya...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
You made the right decision. You cannot go wrong with a Japanese car for a DD. The problem with the GTI is that it is a Volkswagen. I got burned by them too with a 1995 Jetta GLX, horrible electrical problems (among others) and horrible dealer and manufacturer service. Never again. Part of me believes it is the same for Audi and my Porsche experience (996) was not much better than my VW experience.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I agree, but when i drove the GTI for the first time I couldn't turn it down... it drove better than most cars twice the money.

Dealerships haven't been very supportive though. i have been to 3 different dealerships and none of them really car. i figure because VW has higher volume in the service dept... my next car will still be european, but not a VW, because if i am paying that much for maintenance i am getting something worth it

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You made the right decision. You cannot go wrong with a Japanese car for a DD. The problem with the GTI is that it is a Volkswagen. I got burned by them too with a 1995 Jetta GLX, horrible electrical problems (among others) and horrible dealer and manufacturer service. Never again. Part of me believes it is the same for Audi and my Porsche experience (996) was not much better than my VW experience.
Yup... The G is a comfy DD that Ive heard are pretty bulletproof.. I really want a pcar some day.. so I hope VW issues stay with them.

I'd be more patient if it were a car that was a mechanical marvel like a 997 Turbo or rs4

Live and learn........

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I agree, but when i drove the GTI for the first time I couldn't turn it down... it drove better than most cars twice the money.

Dealerships haven't been very supportive though. i have been to 3 different dealerships and none of them really car. i figure because VW has higher volume in the service dept... my next car will still be european, but not a VW, because if i am paying that much for maintenance i am getting something worth it
When they are new, they seem to offer a great value. Teutonic styling, great handling and ride, and many options for the price. However they are full of bugs and do not last and the dealer network sucks. They just don't care and will not pay for anything.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When they are new, they seem to offer a great value. Teutonic styling, great handling and ride, and many options for the price. However they are full of bugs and do not last and the dealer network sucks. They just don't care and will not pay for anything.

You're not kidding

I got the GTI back in '07. I was in the process of building a new house and scaled back expenses. I drove the Infiniti g back then too but LOVED the GTI.. For all the reasons you mention.. I had come out of a bunch of BMWs from 3's to m's.

While it ran good, it was a blast

But when the car is under warranty and I start getting comments at the dealer like "we will do everything we can to bill this to VW".. I grew suspicious.

BMW you can bring the car in with drag slicks and window paint with a blown tranny and they will give you a loaner, fix and top your fluids and brake service.

Screw em.

I took the m6 to work today.. so got my German fix.. hehehe

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
You're not kidding

I got the GTI back in '07. I was in the process of building a new house and scaled back expenses. I drove the Infiniti g back then too but LOVED the GTI.. For all the reasons you mention.. I had come out of a bunch of BMWs from 3's to m's.

But when the car is under warranty and I start getting comments at the dealer like "we will do everything we can to bill this to VW".. I grew suspicious.

BMW you can bring the car in with drag slicks and window paint with a blown tranny and they will give you a loaner, fix and top your fluids and brake service.

Screw em.

Ripping the shit out of the poor m6 enjoy it buddy :bitenails:

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I can say this... we had an audi TT for 2 weeks... bought it used for like 9000. We drove it and all of a sudden everything electronic on the dash went out. speedo, tach, temp, radio, AC, etc.

took it to audi and the total bill was a smidge of 3,000$... it was 5 years before we touched another german car and it was my VW... every problem i have had has been mechanical. cam follower, hpfp, gaskets, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ripping the shit out of the poor m6 enjoy it buddy :bitenails:
You know it B! :clap: Mine doesnt get it any easier than I tore yours up. :whistle:

I can say this... we had an audi TT for 2 weeks... bought it used for like 9000. We drove it and all of a sudden everything electronic on the dash went out. speedo, tach, temp, radio, AC, etc.

took it to audi and the total bill was a smidge of 3,000$... it was 5 years before we touched another german car and it was my VW... every problem i have had has been mechanical. cam follower, hpfp, gaskets, etc.
Have heard that Audi/VW elecitrical trouble shooting is referred to as a "black art"

·
Registered
664 Posts
You're not kidding

Screw em.

:lol:

that is true

i brought my 7 in after destoying my differential

walked out with a 535i loaner and my car was fixed it no questions asked

·
Registered
469 Posts
I know this is an old thread but just came across this and have been having the same issue!
airbag fault warning, my sunroof has a mind of its own (so I keep the pull shade closed and let it do wtv the **** it wants), and my tire pressure is constantly going off for no reason. sad part is that my car is in the aruba (shipped from home) and this "vw dealership" has no bloody idea what volkswagens are; or service for that matter.

by the way I drive an 08 r32. ....for now. lol

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ Try and find a good independent dealer down there with a Ross Cable and the right software (if such an entity exists)

It's ironic that after 3+ years, I traded the Infiniti in and got another VW ('13 Passat TDI)

I do a ton of driving now, and needed the better miles per gallon

So far, I've put on 17K miles in about 10 months and no issues.

I also found a better dealer.

Car is still new though, so hard to say...

good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts