The Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale—the big one—is happening this week. Big money and even bigger egos combine to find new homes for some of the rarest muscle machines in America. Mustangs are always well represented and 2016 is no exception. These are the Top 10 Ford Mustangs we’ll be keeping an eye on over the next week:
1. Lot #89 1969 FORD MUSTANG MACH 1 FASTBACKThis ’69 428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1 is a factory R-Code car complete with Ram Air Shaker Hood. Other option boxes ticked include Drag Pack, power steering, brakes, tach dash, AM/FM and tinted glass.
The car isn’t all original however, the 4-speed has been upgraded, a MagnaFlow SS exhaust has been added and most significantly the color has been changed to Shelby Yellow. Which is really too bad as its a one-of-one car with those options.
2. Lot #126 1966 FORD MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE
This Powder Blue ’66 comes with many rare factory options: 289ci V8, a C4 automatic transmission, factory air conditioning, power top, power steering, power brakes, Rally pack, Pony interior with décor group and steel styled wheels. All paint, engine and trim codes are numbers matching.
3. Lot #384 1984 FORD MUSTANG GT 350 CONVERTIBLE
Of the 5,261 anniversary cars built only 587 were convertible and only 282 of those were ordered with a 5-speed and carbureted V8.
4. Lot #385 1993 FORD MUSTANG COBRAThis ’93 Mustang Cobra is as close to factory fresh as you’re going to get. It has 3,558 original miles and is still wearing its original Goodyear Eagle ZR45 tires. The only thing not original is the recently replaced battery.
5. Lot #431 1968 FORD MUSTANG CUSTOM PICKUPWe’ve included this one for the novelty and the craftsmanship. This ’68 custom is called the “Mustaro” as it blends the sportiness of a Mustang with the utility of the Ranchero. It’s motivated by a 351ci V8 with a C6 automatic transmission.
6. Lot #1018 1969 FORD MUSTANG MACH 1 428 SCJ FASTBACK
In 1969 only 10,130 Mustangs were built with 428-4V Ram Air engines, from that 4,277 came with C6 automatics. 76 of those were painted Pastel Gray, 51 of 76 of those had Black Mach 1 Bucket seats. 12 of 51 had 428 Super Cobra Jet engines, of which three had 4.30 Traction-Lok rear axles. This car is the only one with no radio.
7. Lot #1038.1 1968 SHELBY GT350 FASTBACK
The low serial number indicates it as one of the earliest ’68s built.
8. Lot #1072 1969 SHELBY GT350
9. Lot #1438 1968 SHELBY GT500 KR FASTBACK
A beautiful example of an original GT500KR in a unique paint.
10. Lot #1545 1979 FORD MUSTANG INDY PACE CAR
Finished in Pewter Polly, with flat black accents plus orange and red stripes, topped off with special “Indy 500″ decals. The new-for-1979 Foxbody Mustang was selected to Pace the annual May race, with Ford offering replicas for sale to the public.
Factory Pace Car replicas included custom fog lights, rear spoiler and Recaro seats. This particular Pace Car was optioned with the 2.3L turbo 4-cylinder and 4-speed manual.
Honorable Mention. Lot #1396 1965 SHELBY 289 COBRA ROADSTER CSX2495 Not a Mustang, but we’re certainly interested in CSX2495. One of the original Shelby Roadsters built in early 1964, it came from the factory with a 289ci V8 hooked up to a 4-speed manual. Chassis number 2495 has an extensive and well documented racing history.
The 289 equipped cars actually handle much better than those with the burly 427 in the nose. This one won’t go cheap.