My Thoughts on Fashion & A Few Things I won't Leave The House Without
Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert in this arena but I enjoy sharing my thoughts and engaging in conversation with fellow L4Pers. I'm not trying to preach, just share my views :D
1. If you don't own a Blue Blazer, you have no right to buy any other jackets/suits until you do. This is the most versatile piece you can have and it will save your ass many a time over the years. And yes, gold buttons are still cool!
2. A pocket square is like underwear, it should always be worn. If you're wearing a sport coat or suit a pocket square adds a perfect touch. Mild (white cotton) or wild (paisly or patterned) people will always take notice
3. I don't care what these newfangled bloggers say, your belt should still match your shoes. Brown with Brown, Black with Black. I don't think I'll ever sway on this!
4. Wearing a shirt with a button down collar and a tie is a cardinal sin in my book. Unless you're an eccentric billionaire trying to play down your wealth (ie: Warren Buffet) don't do it!
5. Suits are meant to be worn with lace-up shoes. (Monk Straps fall under the same category) Loafers are for a more casual look, no matter what logo is plastered on them
6. A double breasted coat should never be worn open. EVER. EVER. LOL
7. I never leave the house without a couple of tissues in my pocket and a day never goes by when I don't use them
8. The bottom button of your jacket should NEVER be buttoned. If you have a 2 button coat just the top should be done, a 3 button is best just to button the middle one, but if you prefer the look the top 2 are ok
9. In reference to #8 : No matter how cool your favorite NFL player or Televangelest from Dallas looks in a 5 button suit, there isn't any reason why you or I should wear a suit with more than 3 buttons (Double Breasted Excluded)
10. Fit trumps brand name! I promise you I'd look better in a perfectly fitting DKNY suit from the Men's Wearhouse than I would in an ill-fitting Tom Ford
11. Your waist is not around your hips. I wear my jeans on my hips like most all of us do. But suit pants/slacks should be worn around your true waist.
12. If you can afford it buy your Tux. People know a rental when they see it. Since it gets limited wear your tux will last you a lifetime and is worth the investment.
13. In reference to #12, I never wear a tuxedo without a bow tie. I'm not a fan of wearing a Black Necktie with a tux.
14. It's ok for men to get manicures. Unless you've made your fortune in a field that requires manual labor chances are your clients/employer/employees/girlfriend or wife will appreciate your having manicured hands.
15. If you go bespoke, make things yours!!! If you're paying the money to have clothing custom made, it's nice to put little touches that make them unique. I for one have my lucky #31 embroidered in hidden places. While I still get my name inside of a jacket or my intials on my shirt cuff, I like to have a 31 hidden. on coats I put it under the collar in the center, on shirts on the bottom of the placket under the last button hole.
16. Cologne is meant to add a dash of scent, not render your date unconscious so you can take advantage of her LOL. Go easy with the spray and you won't offend!!!!