Road Paint - Detail Cost?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Road Paint - Detail Cost?

          
   
  1. #1
    CliffJumper is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    LA-->SF-->NYC-->LA
    Posts
    376

    Default Road Paint - Detail Cost?

    Yesterday, on my way to San Diego, I stopped by sqbullet1219's family's car wash to get a nice wash and wax (probably the first in 2 months). So, of course, today on the way back to LA, I hit this patch of wet road paint on the freeway.

    I don't get my car detailed too often, so I'm not too familiar with local detailers and prices. I found this shop nearby that has great Yelp reviews, is close by, and will give me a loaner car (minor convenience; I can also drop my wife off at work and keep her car if necessary, but nice option to have).

    So, two questions:
    1) The guy above wants $300 for the paint, wheel wells and rims because he's going to have to jack up the car to take off the wheels. To do the undercarriage, that's another $100. In that case, he'd have to put it up on a lift and steam clean it. I think I trust the quality of his worth as much as any other option that I know of. Is that a fair price? I was expecting around $200, so the $400 seems steep, but I don't really have a point of reference.

    2) Are there any L4P sponsors that are either a) within 10-15 minutes of Westwood/UCLA or b) do mobile detail?

    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    pecka13's Avatar
    pecka13 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    473

    Default

    The price seems fine.
    Cleaning, steam, wash, clay, he will have to polish. It wont be easy and it wil take a long time.
    Get that stuff off your car.
    2010 Harley Davidson Iron 883

  3. #3
    djantlive's Avatar
    djantlive is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    seems reasonable to me too.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Luxury4Play.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    AXL
    AXL is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Is that paint or something?

  6. #5
    Envious Eric is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    thats a lot of work for a low price, that would be in the 800-1000 range from higher end places.

    did you try taking it to a pressure washer place first since you just had it waxed? it might come off with ease

  7. #6
    Chipster's Avatar
    Chipster is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Seems reasonable to me! I had a monster F350 with huge tires and I ran over some unmarked yellow wet paint one day. Brand new solid black truck. That took FOREVER to clean!!

  8. #7
    sqbullet1219's Avatar
    sqbullet1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Diego/Del Mar, California
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    Such a bummer to see this happen Ruban! Good luck with the search, just make sure they arent tricking you into paying more in the end
    2008 Black Tacoma
    Mod list:
    Afe cold air intake +150hp
    Flowmaster 51 series +270hp
    TRD Off-Road decal mod +75hp
    Fuzzy steering wheel cover +150hp(favorite mod)
    Alpine head unit/sub wiring +500hp
    Marijuana smelling air freshener +420 hp

    Total: 50,000hp

  9. #8
    sqbullet1219's Avatar
    sqbullet1219 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Diego/Del Mar, California
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    honestly Ruban, just take it to a 5$ self serve wash and try power hosing it off. Since we just waxed it there might still be a layer underneath the white paint and the power hose might be able to brush it off. Just make sure to use a newer washer because old ones lose pressure and it might just be a waste of time at that point. good luck
    2008 Black Tacoma
    Mod list:
    Afe cold air intake +150hp
    Flowmaster 51 series +270hp
    TRD Off-Road decal mod +75hp
    Fuzzy steering wheel cover +150hp(favorite mod)
    Alpine head unit/sub wiring +500hp
    Marijuana smelling air freshener +420 hp

    Total: 50,000hp

  10. #9
    Immaculate Reflections's Avatar
    Immaculate Reflections is offline Detailing_Sponsor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
    thats a lot of work for a low price, that would be in the 800-1000 range from higher end places.

    did you try taking it to a pressure washer place first since you just had it waxed? it might come off with ease

    I agree with Eric. Road paint is no joke and its EVERYWHERE in the pics. That will require extensive work, especially the wheels and undercarriage. If this happened to me (and I was not a detailer) and told me that $400 price, I'd immediately walk away. This is a serious job that will take extensive work and will cost accordingly. But since it was just waxed, try pressure washing it off. Although the undercarriage and wheels are still going to need extensive work.
    Jeff
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    (925)-354-7653

  11. #10
    CliffJumper is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    LA-->SF-->NYC-->LA
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sqbullet1219 View Post
    honestly Ruban, just take it to a 5$ self serve wash and try power hosing it off. Since we just waxed it there might still be a layer underneath the white paint and the power hose might be able to brush it off. Just make sure to use a newer washer because old ones lose pressure and it might just be a waste of time at that point. good luck
    Well, the paint is actually the easy part. The tough part is inside the wheel wells, the rims and undercarriage. He's going to put it up on a jack and steam clean it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Immaculate Reflections View Post
    I agree with Eric. Road paint is no joke and its EVERYWHERE in the pics. That will require extensive work, especially the wheels and undercarriage. If this happened to me (and I was not a detailer) and told me that $400 price, I'd immediately walk away. This is a serious job that will take extensive work and will cost accordingly. But since it was just waxed, try pressure washing it off. Although the undercarriage and wheels are still going to need extensive work.
    Oops... I just dropped it off based on all of the other posts. I'll let you all know how it goes.

    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Last edited by CliffJumper; 03-09-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Merged 2 posts into 1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

You MUST be 18 years or OLDER to Register for Luxury4Play. By selecting "Yes", you are performing a legal acknowledgment that you are 18 years of age or older.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by scoobie.com.