Any high hour helicopter pilots here? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Any high hour helicopter pilots here?

          
   
  1. #11
    H34D SH01's Avatar
    H34D SH01 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    One of my friends dad flew a Kiowa Warrior after graduating West Point. Left the military, went to Columbia Business School, and now is on Wall Street lol

  2. #12
    Flyinglakland's Avatar
    Flyinglakland is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KieranR View Post
    Just took my first solo flight today I'm getting there!
    Congrats! When I get my PPL, I want to do just one lesson in a helicopter, just so I can say I've flown one. I also want to see how well I'd do with the controls. How do they start you out flying those? Do you focus on just a few specific movements, or practice hovering?

  3. #13
    KieranR's Avatar
    KieranR is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglakland View Post
    Congrats! When I get my PPL, I want to do just one lesson in a helicopter, just so I can say I've flown one. I also want to see how well I'd do with the controls. How do they start you out flying those? Do you focus on just a few specific movements, or practice hovering?
    I started (and I assume everyone else does too) with straight and level flying, then some turns, ascents and descents. Hovering took me a few hours to get, it's very tricky!
    Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Luxury4Play.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    KieranR's Avatar
    KieranR is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Up at 55 hours now...getting ready for my checkride within the next month!!!!
    Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

  6. #15
    qjumpr is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KieranR View Post
    Up at 55 hours now...getting ready for my checkride within the next month!!!!
    Congrats, it can be a hard road but very rewarding. I have just over 1000 hours, mix of piston and turbine.

  7. #16
    KieranR's Avatar
    KieranR is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qjumpr View Post
    Congrats, it can be a hard road but very rewarding. I have just over 1000 hours, mix of piston and turbine.
    Cool! If you don't mind me asking, do you have a chopper job currently?
    Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

  8. #17
    qjumpr is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KieranR View Post
    Cool! If you don't mind me asking, do you have a chopper job currently?
    Yes, I've been very fortunate. I've worked really hard at getting out and meeting people, staying in contact with old instructors etc. I work as a CFI and VIP pilot in a large Turbine. Its all about contacts, and honestly not being an a**hole. I have never worked for free/given my time away to gain hours etc, and I've done well compared to most.

  9. #18
    KieranR's Avatar
    KieranR is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qjumpr View Post
    Yes, I've been very fortunate. I've worked really hard at getting out and meeting people, staying in contact with old instructors etc. I work as a CFI and VIP pilot in a large Turbine. Its all about contacts, and honestly not being an a**hole. I have never worked for free/given my time away to gain hours etc, and I've done well compared to most.
    I hear you with the contacts. I started doing that before I even took lessons
    Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

  10. #19
    Pushn'lbs's Avatar
    Pushn'lbs is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Disney World
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    If your instructor signs you off, he knows you're ready. Go kick some ass.

  11. #20
    KieranR's Avatar
    KieranR is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pushn'lbs View Post
    If your instructor signs you off, he knows you're ready. Go kick some ass.
    My instructor thinks my flying is superb, I'm just working on getting this pesky written exam out of the way first
    Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

You MUST be 18 years or OLDER to Register for Luxury4Play. By selecting "Yes", you are performing a legal acknowledgment that you are 18 years of age or older.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by scoobie.com.