Around the World in a GOOSE.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Around the World in a GOOSE.

          
   
  1. #1
    DURGE's Avatar
    DURGE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    1,193

    Default Around the World in a GOOSE.

    In two years the proverbial ducks will be in a row--I want to travel around the world in one primary mode of transportation. I've narrowed it down to two choices: Either an Antillies Super Goose or a 67ft Cat. Share if you've experienced either. Personally, I'm leaning towards the goose. It's been a dream of mine since I was a teen.

    Last edited by DURGE; 12-06-2013 at 01:51 AM.

  2. #2
    H J's Avatar
    H J
    H J is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    I've got a good friend whose aunt/uncle travel the Americas in their Leopard Catamaran--fully loaded boat, with all of the "creature comforts," geared for long distance. They use very little fuel and have really nailed the weather charting, so they can anticipate any inclement conditions and anchor accordingly. Not my cup of tea, but they really enjoy themselves.

  3. #3
    M@verik's Avatar
    M@verik is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Why not look at a more conventional yacht? Catamarans look decent, but boy are they unstable. Even the smallest of waves that will wont be noticable against a single hull boat will rock a catamaran...

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Luxury4Play.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    DURGE's Avatar
    DURGE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Why not look at a more conventional yacht? Catamarans look decent, but boy are they unstable. Even the smallest of waves that will wont be noticable against a single hull boat will rock a catamaran...
    Very interesting. I have a friend that sailed to Japan in a cat. From his experience single hull yachts are not quite as stable as cats. I've thought about motor yachts too but I don't want to rely solely on fuel. However, I also have to take the wife into consideration. She prefers air over sailing, so I may end up in a motor yacht after all. Thanks for the info. All opinions are appreciated.
    Last edited by DURGE; 12-06-2013 at 12:55 PM.

  6. #5
    DURGE's Avatar
    DURGE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H J View Post
    I've got a good friend whose aunt/uncle travel the Americas in their Leopard Catamaran--fully loaded boat, with all of the "creature comforts," geared for long distance. They use very little fuel and have really nailed the weather charting, so they can anticipate any inclement conditions and anchor accordingly. Not my cup of tea, but they really enjoy themselves.
    The leopard 58' is beautiful. looks like a great size for the job.

  7. #6
    VII's Avatar
    VII
    VII is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    2,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Why not look at a more conventional yacht? Catamarans look decent, but boy are they unstable. Even the smallest of waves that will wont be noticable against a single hull boat will rock a catamaran...
    I don't think stable is the right word you are looking for. Multihulls are MUCH more stable then a monohull, they just move differently. Where a mono will sway back and forth and lean like crazy while going up and down, multi's stay very level.

    OP I would say to the Cat route, while it would take longer then the goose, you would get to enjoy and appreciate more of the travel then you would flying quickly over many of the little beaches etc. Also you can take many more comforts, toys etc that you would have trouble with in the plane. The Plane you would have to hotel it all the time, burn way more fuel, eat out, all of which ads to cost. Also many places you can't take the plane right up to shore like in the pic (read nearly all) but you also don't have room for a tender. This means you either you swim with your groceries, clothes, money, shopping etc, or you have to skip many stops. Not to mention with a Cat you always have a hammok to just lay in the sun. Try that on a scorching hot wing!

    Its a no brainer really. Plus nothing beats the feeling of dragging your feet off the swim platform of a cat while under sail

  8. #7
    DURGE's Avatar
    DURGE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VII View Post
    I don't think stable is the right word you are looking for. Multihulls are MUCH more stable then a monohull, they just move differently. Where a mono will sway back and forth and lean like crazy while going up and down, multi's stay very level.

    OP I would say to the Cat route, while it would take longer then the goose, you would get to enjoy and appreciate more of the travel then you would flying quickly over many of the little beaches etc. Also you can take many more comforts, toys etc that you would have trouble with in the plane. The Plane you would have to hotel it all the time, burn way more fuel, eat out, all of which ads to cost. Also many places you can't take the plane right up to shore like in the pic (read nearly all) but you also don't have room for a tender. This means you either you swim with your groceries, clothes, money, shopping etc, or you have to skip many stops. Not to mention with a Cat you always have a hammok to just lay in the sun. Try that on a scorching hot wing!

    Its a no brainer really. Plus nothing beats the feeling of dragging your feet off the swim platform of a cat while under sail
    Yes, the Cat is a no-brainer. But I was hoping someone would post a good argument in favor of the goose.

    All of the above are good reasons to go with the Cat. In addition, I was thinking of bringing two scooters for transportation, which I know wouldn't be an option with the goose.

  9. #8
    DialM's Avatar
    DialM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,354

    Default

    Why not a PBY Cat? LOL! I have always dreamed of owning one of these.


  10. #9
    MX304's Avatar
    MX304 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    448

    Default

    I would go for an aircraft for sure, but not the Antillies Super Goose. Those aircraft have a lot of issues, and there are questions being raised over the engineering of them turbine retrofit. I lost a good friend in one two years ago. Stick with the standard piston engine Goose, or step up to a Mallard. At least with the aircraft you can go inland when you want to.
    Madness takes a toll. Please have exact change...

  11. #10
    M@verik's Avatar
    M@verik is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Argument for the goose? U might be able to bomb your business competition while traveling the world lol. Oh dear im now being watched by the NSA...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

You MUST be 18 years or OLDER to Register for Luxury4Play. By selecting "Yes", you are performing a legal acknowledgment that you are 18 years of age or older.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by scoobie.com.