What goes into owning an aircraft? - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: What goes into owning an aircraft?

          
   
  1. #21
    H J's Avatar
    H J
    H J is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommywcom View Post
    I have flown the Robinson R22 a number of times when I was trying to get my rotary rating - but I got side-tracked and it didn't happen.
    ...and you lived to tell about it?
    boostedM and OlivierC like this.

  2. #22
    tommywcom is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    14

    Default

    The only thing you have to watch for in the R22 is you can't get into a negative-G situation (ie. push the T-bar abruptly) or you'd get mast bumping, followed by disintegration of parts in the air =)

    But the joy of hovering inches off the ground while busy manipulating the 3 input - priceless!
    H J likes this.

  3. #23
    boostedM's Avatar
    boostedM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H J View Post
    ...and you lived to tell about it?
    Hahaha truth has been spoken. Back in the day my grandpa went to buy a Robinson to survey land for his lumber business. They told him if they didn't go through their in-house training program and devote at least an hour or two to flying it every day, they wouldn't sell him one because he would kill himself.
    H J likes this.
    boosted///M
    Instagram: @mitchellbanks

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Luxury4Play.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    A*aron's Avatar
    A*aron is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,096

    Default

    sounds like fun?

  6. #25
    FASTLANE Mag is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9

    Default

    There is some great information posted here. I found it interesting that the OP wasn't concerned with the costs of owning the aircraft which is often a good reason people lose their aircraft/autos/homes. Rule of thumb is that just because you can afford to buy it, doesn't mean you can afford to keep it. And that is what is important.

    Some aircraft cost as much as $3k - $6K an HOUR to operate in the air. Something to seriously consider.

    I am wondering what the thoughts are on our article about this very subject. The Smart Way To Buy A Private JetFASTLANE Lifestyle Magazine | FASTLANE Lifestyle Magazine

    There is so much expense that goes into owning a private jet, people are often better off just hiring them as needed otherwise a jet isn't much more than a hole in the sky you throw money into.

  7. #26
    boostedM's Avatar
    boostedM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FASTLANE Mag View Post
    There is so much expense that goes into owning a private jet, people are often better off just hiring them as needed otherwise a jet isn't much more than a hole in the sky you throw money into.
    *Ahem*

    Quote Originally Posted by Pushn'lbs View Post
    "If it floats, flies, or f____, it's cheaper to rent..."
    FASTLANE Mag likes this.
    boosted///M
    Instagram: @mitchellbanks

  8. #27
    tommywcom is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    14

    Default

    For a lot of people, "hiring" is the best thing to do. Unless of course they go over the 75-100 hrs per year mark, in which case owning makes more sense.

    At 100 hrs/yr, we're only talking about 8 hrs a month or so. That could easily be a 4-hour oneway trip plus return. Whether it's for business people getting to meetings, athletes getting to sporting events, etc, there are indeed great reasons to own. Especially if these meetings etc generate revenue on their own and add to the top line.

  9. #28
    Pushn'lbs's Avatar
    Pushn'lbs is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Disney World
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boostedM View Post
    Hahaha truth has been spoken. Back in the day my grandpa went to buy a Robinson to survey land for his lumber business. They told him if they didn't go through their in-house training program and devote at least an hour or two to flying it every day, they wouldn't sell him one because he would kill himself.
    Robinson's are safe helicopters to operate. You just have to be a proficient pilot.

  10. #29
    FASTLANE Mag is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommywcom View Post
    For a lot of people, "hiring" is the best thing to do. Unless of course they go over the 75-100 hrs per year mark, in which case owning makes more sense.

    At 100 hrs/yr, we're only talking about 8 hrs a month or so. That could easily be a 4-hour oneway trip plus return. Whether it's for business people getting to meetings, athletes getting to sporting events, etc, there are indeed great reasons to own. Especially if these meetings etc generate revenue on their own and add to the top line.
    Gonna have to say you'll need to be spending a lot more time in the air than that to justify ownership of a jet. At that rate it costs way too much money to own, as in it's a waste. It's cheaper to fly from NYC to LA every week 1st class than owning a plane. Granted if you have a couple billion floating around with more coming then sure. It's like owning a weekend car.

  11. #30
    tommywcom is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I did some math in post #15 behind the 75-100 hrs/yr. This is for used jets.

    Comparing flying first class to private aviation is apples to oranges, not to mention "first class" in the domestic routes is really business class amenities on the international routes. Private aviation gives you access to a lot more airports (eg. Teterboro in NJ), and you can show up 10 minutes prior to with little to no security checks. Also you can be a lot more productive on a private flight with privacy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

You MUST be 18 years or OLDER to Register for Luxury4Play. By selecting "Yes", you are performing a legal acknowledgment that you are 18 years of age or older.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by scoobie.com.