View Full Version : E gear question

Pushn'lbs
03-15-2011, 01:22 PM
So I've wondered this for a long time.

I've seen lambo's with e gear, sound like they have manual transmissions. I want to know why?

For example, this video of the aventador (which was already posted) at 2:46:
tm-MS7EbA1c

It is clearly revving and not moving for a sec, much like a manual transmission car would, when reving the engine and feathering the clutch.
In My moms automatic expedition, when you let your foot off the brake the car immediately moves forward, no throttle what so ever. Just like every other automatic. So I'm just curious about what I'm missing here.
Thanks.

ddigangi
03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
the egear if im not mistaken (been awhile since i drove one) it starts you in a 'neutral' gear range and it acts as a normal manual but where you normally lift off the clutch, on this you left off the brake and give it gas but after that it becomes automatic for the continuing gears

i might be completely off on that, i was so shit grinned driving it around the trans was far from the top of my thought process

Pushn'lbs
03-15-2011, 07:18 PM
^ I see, can someone confirm this?

Impulsed7
03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Its got clutches, not a tq converter. Hence the not moving when you let off the brake.

edit, not really hatin here, but how do you have a 370 awhp evo yet you dont know the basics of transmissions?

NY-STRMTRPR
03-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Answer is simple:

Clearly your mom likes to power brake her truck...............

Pushn'lbs
03-16-2011, 02:31 AM
Its got clutches, not a tq converter. Hence the not moving when you let off the brake.

edit, not really hatin here, but how do you have a 370 awhp evo yet you dont know the basics of transmissions?

I know the basics of a manual. I want to know in detail how it works. No, I don't know the inner workings of an automatic/e gear type transmission, hence the question.

Answer is simple:

Clearly your mom likes to power brake her truck...............

Its in park, foot on the brake, move shifter to Drive, foot off brake its moving without throttle. That's not power braking. If your being sarcastic, then :laugh:

djantlive
03-16-2011, 05:12 AM
e gear is a manual transmission. clutch is computer controlled.

Impulsed7
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
e gear is a manual transmission. clutch is computer controlled.

was about to say that. howitworks . com has a very good section on transmissions.

Pushn'lbs
03-16-2011, 03:35 PM
^ thanks fellas. I'm reading it now.

TomLamboBH
03-18-2011, 11:49 PM
It is a manual transmission that is computer/hydraulically actuated. Instead of you lifting your foot off of a clutch pedal, there is a hydraulic actuator that engages the clutch as you toe into the throttle.

During shifts, when you pull on a shift paddle, the hydraulic actuator disengages the clutch, another set of hydraulic actuators (as opposed to a shift lever) move the shift forks/drum and the hydraulic actuator re-engages the clutch.

Just like a conventional manual, except everything is actuated by computer (clutch) and paddle (shifting) controlled actuated hydraulic systems.

Sikklightning
03-19-2011, 12:34 AM
^I wonder how he knows so much LOL

Pushn'lbs
03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
It is a manual transmission that is computer/hydraulically actuated. Instead of you lifting your foot off of a clutch pedal, there is a hydraulic actuator that engages the clutch as you toe into the throttle.

During shifts, when you pull on a shift paddle, the hydraulic actuator disengages the clutch, another set of hydraulic actuators (as opposed to a shift lever) move the shift forks/drum and the hydraulic actuator re-engages the clutch.

Just like a conventional manual, except everything is actuated by computer (clutch) and paddle (shifting) controlled actuated hydraulic systems.

Nice, I understand it perfectly now. Much appreciated. :wink:

somebody
03-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Plus we have the "A" button to drive in fully automatic mode without even manually switching gears. Not sure if this is on all e-gears though...
(and most of us prefer the manual mode anyway as the A is often jittery)

TomLamboBH
03-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Plus we have the "A" button to drive in fully automatic mode without even manually switching gears. Not sure if this is on all e-gears though...
(and most of us prefer the manual mode anyway as the A is often jittery)

This is on Gallardo e-Gear cars. Murcielago e-gear does not have an automatic mode.