View Full Version : E-Gear Question

babystat
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
I have a question folks, I LOVE Lamborghini :D but I have recently noticed a slight sound that IMHO makes the car just sound straight RAW!! Whenever I hear Murcielago's 6.2 & 6.5 (LP640) and especially Gallardo's 5.0 and 5.2 (LP560) I have noticed there is a sputtering/clicking/popping sound in between upshifts and downshifts. The sound is shorter and more of a "cut" in the engine when WOT but when just riding around town or using medium throttle while shifting it makes this sound. If anybody knows what this is from I would defnetly appreciate. I LOVE that sound. :bow1: Each video has a Header up top as to when the sound happens.....

P.S. I am aware that some of the cars have aftermarket exhaust but the type of exhaust honestly does affect this sound......

It happens around 7 Seconds
7oSW2mHhhoo

Skip to 31 seconds in this one
1AwXj7o8OHs

You can skip to 10 seconds on this one
K1Cl4X5VQBQ

Skip to 24 Seconds here
_tuxVXg7E5o

Skip to 24 Seconds here
T8y2ZuC5mpg

Skip to 21 Seconds here
BWRpYAoh4lU

Anybody Know??????

famous autosports
02-01-2011, 09:28 PM
i believe what you are referring to is where the car downshifts it revs to match the rpms of the motor to the shift. they all do it and yes different exhausts will effect the sound to a extent. let me know if you have any other questions or if that doesn't answer your question.

babystat
02-01-2011, 09:34 PM
i believe what you are referring to is where the car downshifts it revs to match the rpms of the motor to the shift. they all do it and yes different exhausts will effect the sound to a extent. let me know if you have any other questions or if that doesn't answer your question.

Well, its MOST prominent on upshifts....

Sir Robbins
02-01-2011, 09:40 PM
just sounds like a normal shift from one gear to the next in a single clutch 120 millisecond shift tranny

babystat
02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
just sounds like a normal shift from one gear to the next in a single clutch 120 millisecond shift tranny

Watch the the last one with the Yellow Spyder....Its very prominent, or I'm hearing things lol

Symbolic Motors
02-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm very confused.

-Spencer
@Symbolic Motors

babystat
02-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Guys, listen to the cut in the engine during upshifts....as the car is going through the gear change it happens.

paulfromtulsa
02-01-2011, 11:15 PM
on the last yellow one sounds like a fart at the 21 sec mark.

Flyinglakland
02-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Is it when they take their foot off the gas to make the shift smoother? Or possibly the engine is trying to breath?

Benny
02-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Doesnt E-Gear temporarily cut the throttle during its shifts just like a person taking their foot off the gas in a stick shift car to change gears. Perhaps thats what he's talking about

babystat
02-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Doesnt E-Gear temporarily cut the throttle during its shifts just like a person taking their foot off the gas in a stick shift car to change gears. Perhaps thats what he's talking about

That's what I figured but in a 6 speed you don't get "fart"/sputtering noise.....I was hoping maybe a Lambo tech could mechanically explain what's happening....

Mac.Gyver
02-02-2011, 09:50 AM
I believe I know what you're talking about.. but can u first answer my question so I can be 100% sure? do you mean this fart sound thats in this video??

YouTube - MC12 Corsa Fly by. Crazy sound!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lezYxHAPbpo)

babystat
02-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I believe I know what you're talking about.. but can u first answer my question so I can be 100% sure? do you mean this fart sound thats in this video??

YouTube - MC12 Corsa Fly by. Crazy sound!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lezYxHAPbpo)

EXACTLY!!! :D I love that sound for some reason.....do you know what it is???

Mac.Gyver
02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
now its a long time since I've been into some advanced engineering stuff.. but I believe it has something to do with the ignition and some fuel thats unburned and gets ignited from the heat around the exhaust headers.. then after it gets ignited and u hear these small farts.. or if its a bigger amount of fuel, u get huge booms on backfire..

still I've seen an F40 (not E gear) have a lot more of these farts than the lambos on the yt videos that you've linked to.. so I believe it has something to do with the same process as a backfire boom

Edit: if Im wrong someone please correct me, its been a while since I've been into these type of things :D

babystat
02-02-2011, 02:48 PM
now its a long time since I've been into some advanced engineering stuff.. but I believe it has something to do with the ignition and some fuel thats unburned and gets ignited from the heat around the exhaust headers.. then after it gets ignited and u hear these small farts.. or if its a bigger amount of fuel, u get huge booms on backfire..

still I've seen an F40 (not E gear) have a lot more of these farts than the lambos on the yt videos that you've linked to.. so I believe it has something to do with the same process as a backfire boom

Edit: if Im wrong someone please correct me, its been a while since I've been into these type of things :D

Wow, never would have thought of that, I thought that it was the Dual clutch shifting and you were just hearing metal(clutches) and other mechanical parts of the engine working, and it happens so fast it just makes that noise. But I really appreciate the answer :D, now I just need someone to elaborate on your definition on a more visual/audio level....
P.S. I apologize if this is a weird topic, I guess I just like "E-Gear Farts" :laugh:

Flyinglakland
02-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Calling them farts seems wrong, because I like them too.

BC
02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
You can skip to 10 seconds on this one
K1Cl4X5VQBQ

miss this car...

Pushn'lbs
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
My evo does this between shifts. I get flames when it occurs.

babystat
02-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Calling them farts seems wrong, because I like them too.

Anybody know a tech term then??

Mac.Gyver
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
YouTube - Ferrari F40 doing burnouts & start-up fail! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upq7BoxB6bM)

watch from 0:15.. here you'll see the same sound on the F40.. the only term I can come up with is backfire/backfiring etc.. maybe these are just small backfires right after each other.. just type lancer evo backfire, or gallardo backfire.. then you'll get huge booms instead of these small right after each other

Mr_AMG
02-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Your hearing shit! it sounds like a normal shift to me! Nothing that exciting

Mac.Gyver
02-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Your hearing shit! it sounds like a normal shift to me! Nothing that exciting

Im hearing shit? oh please.. really?

Turboman
02-02-2011, 06:13 PM

I think that's the noise you hear!:clap:

Turboman
02-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Wow, never would have thought of that, I thought that it was the Dual clutch shifting and you were just hearing metal(clutches) and other mechanical parts of the engine working, and it happens so fast it just makes that noise. But I really appreciate the answer :D, now I just need someone to elaborate on your definition on a more visual/audio level....
P.S. I apologize if this is a weird topic, I guess I just like "E-Gear Farts" :laugh:

Note that Egear is NOT a dual clutch transmission! It's a sequential gearbox! This is important because they act VERY different!

But I'm still of the opinion that it's unburnt fuel!

Flyingcesar
02-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I agree with unburnt fuel... All that im hearing in those vid's is engine backfire.

Sir Robbins
02-02-2011, 07:13 PM

every lambo ever made is a single clutch. there are only 3 cars in the world with double clutch (that I'm aware of) Ferrari 458, Nissan GTR and Bugatti Veyron.

babystat
02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
every lambo ever made is a single clutch. there are only 3 cars in the world with double clutch (that I'm aware of) Ferrari 458, Nissan GTR and Bugatti Veyron.

M3

babystat
02-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Note that Egear is NOT a dual clutch transmission! It's a sequential gearbox! This is important because they act VERY different!

But I'm still of the opinion that it's unburnt fuel!

Really? Thanks, I figured Audi has some type of implementations of their own trannys....So no DCT in Lambo's?

Sir Robbins
02-02-2011, 07:19 PM
M3

2008+ models yes. I was reffering to exotics but it's my bad I never appointed that.

babystat
02-02-2011, 07:21 PM
2008+ models yes. I was reffering to exotics but it's my bad I never appointed that.

Yea, the S-Model Audi I notice do a similar effect, but thats for another section :bow1:

Sir Robbins
02-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Really? Thanks, I figured Audi has some type of implementations of their own trannys....So no DCT in Lambo's?

Nope. Never did one. Double clutches allow simultaneous acceleration without letting off the gas. There is no gap between shifting gears in DCT's. I am unaware of the new lp700 lambo though. idk what it has.

Mac.Gyver
02-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Nope. Never did one. Double clutches allow simultaneous acceleration without letting off the gas. There is no gap between shifting gears in DCT's. I am unaware of the new lp700 lambo though. idk what it has.

if I remember right, the lp700 has a single clutch

babystat
02-02-2011, 09:57 PM
if I remember right, the lp700 has a single clutch

Correct, thats why I thought the Murcie and Gallardo were DCT because Lamborghini said they were "switching it up" with the transmission to give a more raw feel.

So could we conclude that its unburnt fuel and circulation of engine parts that causes these wonderful "E-Gear Farts" lol

babystat
02-02-2011, 10:03 PM
YouTube - Ferrari F40 doing burnouts & start-up fail! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upq7BoxB6bM)

watch from 0:15.. here you'll see the same sound on the F40.. the only term I can come up with is backfire/backfiring etc.. maybe these are just small backfires right after each other.. just type lancer evo backfire, or gallardo backfire.. then you'll get huge booms instead of these small right after each other

But he never upshifts or downshifts.....just a sick aftermarket exhaust setup....You had the perfect example with the MC12 Corsa Vid...

Flyinglakland
02-03-2011, 02:19 AM
no such example can be given from such cars like the 458 where there is no gap at all.

babystat
02-03-2011, 03:52 AM
no such example can be given from such cars like the 458 where there is no gap at all.

Yep, DCT is almost like automatic when it comes to the actual mechanical process of swapping cogs....it just happens so fast after you pull that paddle...

M5V10
02-03-2011, 05:26 AM
Combination of cut time and the exhaust valves. If you notice on 04-05 G's that don't have valves they don't make the sound you're referring to.

babystat
02-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Combination of cut time and the exhaust valves. If you notice on 04-05 G's that don't have valves they don't make the sound you're referring to.

I knew it was only a matter of time before you answered, thanks man.....

NY-STRMTRPR
02-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Informative thread.

babystat
02-04-2011, 01:20 AM

So can we conclude that there could be a combination of both these that causes the beloved "E-Gear Farts"?? I feel like these two are exact "mechanical" terms as to why this is....

VetteFish
02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I think I know what youre referring to. Its hard to tell or explain over the internet but I know how it sounds in person. Mainly I've heard it on LP640s where its this very unique lift off then on throttle sound between shifts that I've never really heard out of a 6speed car.

babystat
02-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Here is a very prominent example:
y8AEVaueNo4