View Full Version : Getting Your Speed Fix

adanmtxt1
05-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Every so often I like to spool up my car to top speed. Yes, my Golf 2.5 only hits about 120 MPH but that's just fine for me; my question is, in the US Midwest, preferably in the Chicagoland area, are there any vast stretches where you can legally max out your car? Drag strips don't count; something like the salt flats out west. I've topped my car on an empty highway twice but it's not safe and it's illegal.

ddigangi
05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't mind knowing as well but I can tell you, late night far out on 355, like 20 miles south of Boughton road, I had clear highways for a quick speed run. At least a good 2-3 miles!

TheYoungConnoisseur
05-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Theres no where in the us you can legally top a car out. The longest stretches are probally Miller's front straight, vir's back straight and road america's back straight and you can't top anything out on thoses but sport bikes.

adanmtxt1
05-11-2012, 04:01 AM
Well I discovered this afternoon my Golf really can't push past 115 so the highways around here are just fine for the occasional speed run. I'll worry about better stretches when I move up in the automotive world.

Domman56
05-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Hmm lets see near Chicago? ever been out to great lakes dragway just on the other side of wisconsin? to .. what would be the left of it looking from the entrance there is about a 3 mile straight road. When i was stationed out there we would always run on that road to practice launches and usually just go ahead and do a full top speed run while we were at it. It's farmland and one time the person who lived there i'm guessing was driving out and asked what we were doing we said " oh tracks not open yet we were just practicing beforehand" He just smiled and was like "alright y'all be safe"