Ideas for messenger style notebook bag? (no canvas/nylon etc)

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ideas for messenger style notebook bag? (no canvas/nylon etc)

          
   
  1. #1
    TheRoadWarrior's Avatar
    TheRoadWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pattaya, Thailand | formerly Siesta Key Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,487

    Default Ideas for messenger style notebook bag? (no canvas/nylon etc)

    Looking for a messenger style bag that will hold my 13" macbook pro.
    Prefer something on the classier/business side of style, since I bring it to meetings etc.
    Would like leather or some other alternative, trying to stay away from any nylon/canvas type material... i dont want to look like im going camping, or to highschool, im not cool enough for that style, lol.

    exception would be something like LV treated canvas is ok, for instance ive considered this one, since i already have the damier graphite wallet/belt



    Trying to expand my search to other choices and designs.

    i am open to any suggestions under $1500ish... i am positive there are some great quality bags well under that price, but thats why im posting here, i figure some of you guys know some good ones.

    thanks!
    Last edited by TheRoadWarrior; 01-04-2012 at 02:05 AM.
    "I spent 90% of my money on women, cars, and booze. The other 10% I wasted."

  2. #2
    DBugden09's Avatar
    DBugden09 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,815

    Default

    I picked up a John Varvatos one this summer for around 600. Fits my 15 inch macbook pro no problems along with a small binder. All brown leather with a a good solid zipper. Haven't had an issue yet and the quality seems very good thus far.
    '14 Honda Civic LX (flappy paddles!)
    02 Harley Heritage Softail- Vance and Hines full pipes.

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by JBrown Hidden Content
    Money talks, wealth whispers.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by BG Hidden Content
    This is what happens when you pussify your next generation. You get a certificate for losing a ball game, you pre-school teaches you baa-baa-rainbow sheep, then next thing you know 4 fatass bitches be raping you.

  3. #3
    op487062 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    i've been looking for a reason to get this bag. it's an australian company. unfortunately, my messenger bags just sit in the closet in dust bags.

    Tailfeather › Shop › KINGFISHER

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Luxury4Play.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    DialM's Avatar
    DialM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,354

    Default

    No matter how nice or expensive, nothing says "I am NOT a baus" as well as a messenger bag. it says, "see this strap? I can't afford a hotel room to keep my crap in while I am here desperately trying to sell you stuff. And, I have no underlings to schlep my crap around, so I need this strap so my arm doesn't fall off when I walk eight blocks to save cab fare."

    Seriously, if you are walking in to a meeting with a messenger-size bag, make sure there isn't a strap hanging off of it. It is call a briefcase.

  6. #5
    TheRoadWarrior's Avatar
    TheRoadWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pattaya, Thailand | formerly Siesta Key Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DialM View Post
    No matter how nice or expensive, nothing says "I am NOT a baus" as well as a messenger bag. it says, "see this strap? I can't afford a hotel room to keep my crap in while I am here desperately trying to sell you stuff. And, I have no underlings to schlep my crap around, so I need this strap so my arm doesn't fall off when I walk eight blocks to save cab fare."

    Seriously, if you are walking in to a meeting with a messenger-size bag, make sure there isn't a strap hanging off of it. It is call a briefcase.
    if i worked in any other industry, i would 100% agree with you... i can see how my post sounded like i might be going to formal business meetings, but i should have clarified the use better.

    i am very casual... my work attire is jeans and a polo/golf shirt, or tshirt...i work in the affiliate marketing industry (self employed entrepreneur, so i am the "baus") and 90% of the potential business connects i meet with are in the 20-30yo range... everyone i meet with is a 6 figure+ earner (some 7 figure), but they are still young (i am 30 myself) and the majority of them also use messenger bags, or even straight up backups. having a laptop and/or ipad with me all the time is just part of our lifestyle.

    my "business" meetings are typically at 1 of 3 places... bar on the beach... upscale steakhouse... or strip club. a brief case is WAY too formal for the way we live.
    Last edited by TheRoadWarrior; 01-06-2012 at 05:29 AM.
    "I spent 90% of my money on women, cars, and booze. The other 10% I wasted."

  7. #6
    TheRoadWarrior's Avatar
    TheRoadWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pattaya, Thailand | formerly Siesta Key Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by op487062 View Post
    i've been looking for a reason to get this bag. it's an australian company. unfortunately, my messenger bags just sit in the closet in dust bags.

    Tailfeather › Shop › KINGFISHER
    cool... i dig the old-world style, but wouldnt look good on me.
    Last edited by TheRoadWarrior; 01-06-2012 at 05:29 AM.
    "I spent 90% of my money on women, cars, and booze. The other 10% I wasted."

  8. #7
    TheRoadWarrior's Avatar
    TheRoadWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pattaya, Thailand | formerly Siesta Key Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DBugden09 View Post
    I picked up a John Varvatos one this summer for around 600. Fits my 15 inch macbook pro no problems along with a small binder. All brown leather with a a good solid zipper. Haven't had an issue yet and the quality seems very good thus far.
    didnt see any styles i liked, but thanks for the suggestion
    "I spent 90% of my money on women, cars, and booze. The other 10% I wasted."

  9. #8
    Avocado's Avatar
    Avocado is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
    if i worked in any other industry, i would 100% agree with you...
    my "business" meetings are typically at 1 of 3 places... bar on the beach... upscale steakhouse... or strip club. a brief case is WAY too formal for the way we live.
    I completely agree.

    You would most likely NOT be taken serious if you would show up in a suit+tie at an internet marketing convention.. In this business its typically the one who under-dresses the most with the most $. (A perfect public example could be Mark Zuckerberg)
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

  10. #9
    Dr. Handsome's Avatar
    Dr. Handsome is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    942

    Default

    Try Wilson's Leather, Kenneth Cole, or Saddleback. Three different price ranges and quality, but all three look good, have leather products, and are durable.

  11. #10
    carsyy's Avatar
    carsyy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Visconti :: Manufacturer of quality leather bags • home

    I have one of the Hunter series from this company. They make some really nice stuff for a decent price. I've got a 13" macbook pro and it fits in with room for other books and stuff

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

You MUST be 18 years or OLDER to Register for Luxury4Play. By selecting "Yes", you are performing a legal acknowledgment that you are 18 years of age or older.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by scoobie.com.